Moparts

Block cleaning and heads too

Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Block cleaning and heads too - 02/18/20 03:38 AM

Anyone had a block and heads cleaned via electrolysis? My machine shop guy suggested it to me today instead of baking/chemicals.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Block cleaning and heads too - 02/18/20 06:50 AM

The only electrolysis I know of is when the metal is deteriorating from very low electrical current flowing during the deterioration process confused
I might be misunderstanding this process shruggy
What does he say it does?
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Block cleaning and heads too - 02/18/20 02:46 PM

Muric acid in the water passages
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Block cleaning and heads too - 02/18/20 03:02 PM

From all I've seen, electrolysis is a slow process AND I've never heard of anyone doing it commercially - probably for that reason. Running current through a huge tank for a week can't be cheap! If getting all the rust is a concern then take everything to a dipper and have them do it - it will get every bit of dirt, paint and rust. But dippers usually charge by the pound so a block and heads can be really expensive.
Posted By: dragon slayer

Re: Block cleaning and heads too - 02/18/20 03:41 PM

Machine shops have cleaners that blast with small metal beads to get heads and blocks clean. Works great. There also are low PH chemical dip designed for cast iron that some machine/manufactures may do that could easily dip a head or block. Kind of like Evaporust but a more aggressive rust remover and metal prep.
© 2024 Moparts Forums