Moparts

Any M body cars with sunroofs ?

Posted By: dOrk !

Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/01/20 10:50 PM

I think I saw a loaded 5th at an auction years ago ... pretty rare ?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/01/20 11:35 PM

Why do you want one?
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/01/20 11:38 PM

Yes they had them as an option and pretty rare. Not any valuable rare just more unique rare. Done by ASC like so many other cars with them as a factory option back then.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 12:25 AM

Had a 76 Grand Fury that was loaded and had a sun roof. It was a retired California CHP car with twin spot lights. Was funny that it had power windows and door locks and split bench seat. Power trunk release. AM-FM Cassette too.

I had a J body Mirada that also had a sun roof. It did not work.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 12:36 AM

Guaranteed to leak within the first five years.

Dave, your '76 GRAN Fury was a C Body though. My guess would be someone added the sunroof post-retirement. I didn't think CHP had '76 Gran Furys.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Why do you want one?

Well some apimp from the lEAST coast of Florida has been tempting me with his Dippy... and I jsta can’t take it any more rant

And him collecting C body barges and that 5guy wanting to be 500carguy ... I’ve got to try keeping up! smoke

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
Yes they had them as an option and pretty rare. Not any valuable rare just more unique rare. Done by ASC like so many other cars with them as a factory option back then.

What percentage of production ? 5% ?? ... I’d like to find a white car ... with red velore seats up

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

Dave, your '76 GRAN Fury was a C Body though. My guess would be someone added the sunroof post-retirement. I didn't think CHP had '76 Gran Furys.

Now lMop ... no negative waves here tsk

Why so ? Alignment issues ? Bad seals ?
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

Now lMop ... no negative waves here tsk

Why so ? Alignment issues ? Bad seals ?

Install was done third party and was sloppily done in a lot of instances. As said, there is absolutely no collector value to be had in the car, well optioned or not. If you want one, just find a clean car with color you want. Have a sun/moon roof put in aftermarket.

There are a couple of extremely clean cars for sale on fmjo. Darth Car comes to mind. Black on red.

https://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/threads/darth-car-needs-a-new-home.7824/

Attached picture DSCN3745.jpg
Posted By: sdweatherman

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 06:01 PM

Doc,
Depending on make and model, they can be quite rare. But as previous posters have said, not going to be terribly valuable. I have a few production numbers for sunroof cars through 1980, and its hit and miss through the 80s. But if you want a car that no one else has, they are a good choice and make for good conversation. The only draw back is parts if it is not in operating condition, or breaks after you get it. I have a few contacts that might be able to chase down parts, but sometimes it take a great deal of time to get them found. I have set up a website for Mopar Sunroof Cars, but I have not gotten to the later 70s cars yet. But feel free to check it out sometime. Good luck with your search! Scott. www.moparsunroofregistry.com

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/02/20 06:06 PM

Oh Doc, you're so silly.

Mine is worth much more to me than I'd ever get for it. I'd disagree a little with MarkM....I believe there's some collector value to the AHB (Police Package) cars. There's a few of us out here. The extra welds, larger front sway bar, rear anti sway bar, bigger rear end, coolers, HD parts throughout, etc. This one has always been 100% rust free. I think they make the perfect size, ride and handling four door. I like four door cars too. Now with a beasty 410 c.i.d. engine, 727, sure grip 3.21, and some other hidden upgrades, it's perfect IMO. Again, I've got slip showing engine dyno of 469hp and 528tq. Pretty good for four door totally streetable sedan that can be daily driven, handles great, and is super comfy. '69 Polara 440's they are not, I realize. But I like the M's looks more. BUT, And I've got $10k in just the engine.It adds up quick. Selling it would make me silly smile

Attached picture BunchofDips.jpg

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/03/20 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve

What percentage of production ? 5% ?? ... I’d like to find a white car ... with red velore seats up

Dunno.. Maybe 5-10%? I've seen far far more without then with.

Mine is white with red... and a thermoquad 360 punkrocka

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/04/20 01:37 AM

Bone stock 360 ?
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/05/20 01:59 AM

Seemed like every 5th Avenue sold up here had sunroof in it. Recall seeing tons in the wrecking yards. That being said - Where did they all go ??? I had a 1980 Plymouth Caravelle (only sold in Canada), 2dr, 318, loaded . . .that was a great driving car - not a fast car, but comfy and decent (22mpg) mileage on highway . . . and what about all the Dodge Diplomats??? Seemed like those were the fleet and cop cars . . . did I fall asleep and suddenly these are all gone ??? . . . . Always thought they looked awesome as 2dr with these wheels . . . .

Attached picture Caravelle.jpg

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/05/20 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by a12rag
Seemed like every 5th Avenue sold up here had sunroof in it. Recall seeing tons in the wrecking yards. That being said - Where did they all go ??? I had a 1980 Plymouth Caravelle (only sold in Canada), 2dr, 318, loaded . . .that was a great driving car - not a fast car, but comfy and decent (22mpg) mileage on highway . . . and what about all the Dodge Diplomats??? Seemed like those were the fleet and cop cars . . . did I fall asleep and suddenly these are all gone ??? . . . . Always thought they looked awesome as 2dr with these wheels . . . .
The CRUSHER LAW bought sooooo many good hotrods. frown

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/06/20 12:00 AM

Bone stock 360 ?

Pretty much. then MP distributor and some other bolt on stuff.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/06/20 12:34 AM

Iron intake ? Stock 7 1/4 rear end ?

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/07/20 01:26 PM

stock 4bbl intake, 73 thermoquad, surprisingly the 7 1/4 lasted longer then the 904s did but I already had a 81/4 so it went in when the 727 did. My original plan was to put a 518 in it but life and other toys got in the way.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/08/20 07:27 PM

They don't get the love they deserve simply because they have not been experienced I would guess. Not fast cars, just super nice comfortable V8 (if you want) RWD cruisers. The 4 barrel police cars with 2.94 gears were very durable and plenty of power. No, not 5.7 Charger fast, but really, that's not needed in today's environment. It's just a bonus.

Another good internet pic

Attached picture 28021952941_d9f072ac7d_b.jpg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/08/20 07:39 PM

A warmed up 360 cures many ills.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/09/20 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
A warmed up 360 cures many ills.
That's the truth!

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/09/20 08:04 PM

I'd love a 410 stroker in a Dippy or NY'er.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/09/20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_J
I'd love a 410 stroker in a Dippy or NY'er.
I highly recommend. A Police one is best if you can find because you already have many upgrades that will be helpful, but a solid Fifth Ave will be easier to find because they were popular with the elderly.

A no nonsense '88 Gran Fury AHB, but missing slotted Police wheels

Attached picture 00A0A_iJu8kTjIKhG_1200x900.jpg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/10/20 01:59 AM

I was walking through my local pull a part last Thursday getting parts for my hot rod and was amazed to see an 85 5th Ave sitting in there! The car looked great, had the 2 tone red/grey outside paint and the red plush interior. Someone had pulled something off the front suspension on one side, but other then that, the car was still complete and pretty much intact. The wire wheel caps were gone, but all 4 tires and 15 x 7" wheels were still there. Pretty much a shame it will be complete history in a few months, but it looks like a lot of good parts are available. Its at LKQ in Rockford IL. Gene

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/11/20 04:44 AM

Yeah right lMop .... but a Dippy 2 door with velore and a sunroof WITH a 410 is muchO bester !

Someone with good A engine experience needs to put me together a grocery list of a 12 flat regular gas motor !

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/11/20 06:45 PM

Yeah right lMop .... but a Dippy 2 door with velore and a sunroof WITH a 410 is muchO bester !

Someone with good A engine experience needs to put me together a grocery list of a 12 flat regular gas motor !
To each his own. I'll take me an old Po-Po four door with the HD parts and NO leak roof any day over a "velore" or Dippy 2 door. Not that I wouldn't take me a 2 door "velore" or Dip 2 door.

Attached picture PinellasCnty.jpg

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/11/20 06:54 PM

I asked before ... what’s the leak issue ?

And if I could find a 5th that had a sunroof and I would go that route ... I would prefer a 4 door.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/12/20 08:22 PM

Well I was speaking in generalities. Sunroofs all seem to leak after time. Am I not right?

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/12/20 08:55 PM

I have an 05 Carrotvan.. leak free !

Is it a seal issue or misalignment?
Posted By: Diplomat360

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/12/20 09:43 PM

Why do you want one?

...because this little gem rocks my world!!! boogie

Attached picture MOPAR_80Diplomat_2.jpg

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/12/20 11:59 PM

Diplomat360's is a BEAST!

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/13/20 12:00 AM

I have an 05 Carrotvan.. leak free !

Is it a seal issue or misalignment?
Seals and/or rust from holding water there.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/13/20 01:26 AM

Sunroofs have a pan around them that catch water and have drain hoses to get it out of there. They say all sunroofs leak and when you get water in the car it's because those drain hoses are clogged.

We've had a few cars with sunroofs in the family and only one ever leaked. It went back to the dealer a few times to be fixed. I think the entire sunroof was replaced once, the healiner once from staining. The new one stained again but they cleaned it. Personally I hate the things. When the shade is open the sun thru them heats up the car, I hate the draft and wind noise when they're open when you're driving. There's no point to leave them open when the car is parked because a bird can [censored] in it and if it's vented it doesn't do anything when that chunk of extra glass is still letting the sun in. Then you have that leak potential.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/13/20 02:31 AM

Thanks Larry...you know how long it took me to get it there though...lol, nuthin' but love and the right kind of madness could have made me do it!!!

Anyways, you've got a pretty hot M-body yourself...too bad we are so far away, would love to do a get-together at the track and shoot the breeze.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/13/20 03:16 AM

Come on Dippy360 ... what’s the 411 on that machine ?

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/13/20 04:26 AM

Come on Dippy360 ... what’s the 411 on that machine ?

Oh you don't have to ask me twice...

Here is the low-down on the current combo, keep in mind I'm working on a W2 stroker at the moment with a hydraulic roller cam that's just a tad hotter then the flat tappet I've got in there right now. I'm looking forward to the spring...

Car is a 1980 Dodge Diplomat Coupe, 3600 lbs. w/ driver (175 lbs).

Engine is a 0.020" over 360, hyperutectic pistons (Sterling H116CP), 10.5:1 static CR. For heads I went with a set of factory 596 castings, Manley 2.02/1.60, 11/32 stem, new bronze guides, and a standard 3 angle valve job. Hughes Engines cam, the HE3844AL piece, it specs out as follows: .535/.540 lift, 237/243 dur. @ .050", 286/290 adv. dur., 108 LSA. Performer RPM intake and a Carter TQ carb (9800 series with the built in electric choke). Ignition handled by the MP chrome box with the Accell Yellow tower coil.

727 transmission with Raybestos clutches & bands, shift kit, modified valve body, basically a tweaked new rebuild. Converter is a 4k stall, Dynamic 9.5" unit. Finally the rear end is a 8 3/4" unit with a 741 casting 4.10 SG.

Exhaust wise I'm running 1 5/8" primary tube header (Hooker) into a 3" dual exhaust system, Hooker MaxFlow mufflers with X cross-over.

All in all it's a fun weekend toy! Blast on the street, a tad slow at the track (best ET of 13.03 @105) due to absolutely horrific traction and no weight transfer. The car is setup to handle on the street (KONI adjustable shocks, both sway bars, etc.) as opposed to being a straight-line champion.

Here is a link to a YouTube video video my son put together from one of our track days back in 2016.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/13/20 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Diplomat360
Why do you want one?

...because this little gem rocks my world!!! boogie

The Diplomat coupes were always my favorites of the F,M,J body cars. I wasn't asking why Doc would want one but rather why he wanted to know. I guess there should have been a comma after why. My mistake. I like your car.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/14/20 03:34 AM

...The Diplomat coupes were always my favorites of the F,M,J body cars. I wasn't asking why Doc would want one but rather why he wanted to know. I guess there should have been a comma after why. My mistake. I like your car.

Ha ha...oh boy, I guess the years of abuse by the Mopar die-hards (being told how the M-body could "never be Mopar muscle") did me in!

Actually, I did suspect that maybe you meant to say something different...thus the Happy Banana in my post!

Very cool for you to clarify though, much appreciated Mr. Guitar Jones!

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/15/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Diplomat360

Thanks Larry...you know how long it took me to get it there though...lol, nuthin' but love and the right kind of madness could have made me do it!!!

Anyways, you've got a pretty hot M-body yourself...too bad we are so far away, would love to do a get-together at the track and shoot the breeze.
That would be a blast for sure. The difference is YOU built yours, mostly with your own two hands. Much more than just a crate engine swap and a few other upgrades. You built it all yourself. VERY impressive car with beautiful paint and body too!

Good to hear from you D!

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/15/20 05:05 PM

www.firmfeel.com has lots of suspension and steering parts for our cars too. I have their Fast Ratio pitman arm and idler arm, aluminum K Frame Isolator replacements eliminating the rubber ones, urethane kit for everything up front. I also have the larger Moog tie rods and the stock larger Police anti sway bar.

Attached picture FastRatioDip.jpg

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/26/20 02:21 AM

A special pRiZe for someone IDing this scene ....

Attached picture 32D6AE4A-5D7C-4116-A9F5-C04971D0F43D.jpeg

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/27/20 04:36 PM

I don't want to hurt my neck. Have a feeling I have not seen the movie.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/29/20 10:28 AM

a few 1979 M-body t-bar & sunroof numbers (combined):
t-bar roof (coupe) $675 & power glass sunroof $827
DIPLOMAT - 51,685 built 1.9% t-bar/sunroof installation rate ~982 cars
LeBARON - 113,863 built 2.1% t-bar/sunroof installation rate ~2,391 cars

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/29/20 05:14 PM

That was an expensive option back then!

Doc are you going to enlighten us?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/29/20 05:27 PM

DoC has an eNlIgHtEnEd mind ! laugh2
beer

PS : my guess is a plymouth caravel. [or close to it - 78ish]

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 02/29/20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
DoC has an eNlIgHtEnEd mind ! laugh2
beer

PS : my guess is a plymouth caravel. [or close to it - 78ish]
I don't believe there was a Caravelle in '78. If it twere a Caravelle it would have to be a 83 or up. If it is a Gran Fury, it's '82 or up.

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/01/20 02:59 PM

we will have to wait until DoC "enlightens" us.
beer

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/01/20 04:48 PM

beer
Geez, I hope I live that long!

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/01/20 07:59 PM

beer
Geez, I hope I live that long!

lMop ..... I didn’t know you were THAT eLdErY pity xmaseek

Now to eNlIgHtEn !.... Basic Instinct....

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/01/20 08:35 PM

Ahhh, Basic Instinct. I have never seen that movie. I remember hearing there's a scene that's sort of a must see. I guess I should see it someday.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/01/20 09:08 PM

Ahhh, Basic Instinct. I have never seen that movie. I remember hearing there's a scene that's sort of a must see. I guess I should see it someday.

Wow . . . you must be a youngster !! LOL . . . I had to google it, but yes, they show it in the front, PLYMOUTH, but no other emblems on the car . . .

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/01/20 10:06 PM

Wow . . . you must be a youngster !! LOL . . . I had to google it, but yes, they show it in the front, PLYMOUTH, but no other emblems on the car . . .

That’s Michael Douglas chasing Sharon Stone ... good movie - GREAT MUZAK!

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/02/20 03:59 PM

DoC, you are wAy too YoUnG to be seeing that famous "ScEnE" ! tsk devil
beer

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/03/20 04:32 AM

DoC, you are wAy too YoUnG to be seeing that famous "ScEnE" ! tsk devil
beer

INdEeD I am ... thx for remembering .... but I have TWO COPIES of the DIRECTORS CUT of that dvd !

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/03/20 01:44 PM

what are you doing with DVD copies ? i thought you only used VHS machines ?
beer

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/03/20 05:02 PM

what are you doing with DVD copies ? i thought you only used VHS machines ?
beer
Or magazines, locked in the bathroom laugh

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/03/20 05:05 PM

Nope, but I googled it too, and when it came out I was in college and barely had time to sleep. True story!

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/04/20 06:25 AM

Now if my math is correct .... let’s see .... the movie came out in 92 .... I was 12 years old myself grin

Ahhhh ... the directors cut .... and Sharons GF smoke

Attached picture 704E8AB4-CFBB-4219-83C8-41DAE1CA75E0.png

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/04/20 06:11 PM

Sharon's Gran Furry?

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/05/20 03:09 PM

well, ALRIGHTY then................... boogie devil
beer

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/05/20 03:14 PM

Didn’t that guy from the lEAST coast of Florida say he never saw that movie ? tsk

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/05/20 05:26 PM

I haven't seen it, but I've been hearing of the scene. It seems to be quite memorable to most.
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/10/20 02:12 PM

I know where a mid-80's M body sets with the sunroof. It's glass too

Re: Any M body cars with sunroofs ? - 03/10/20 03:36 PM

Pray tell MagGuy ??.... smoke
© 2024 Moparts Forums