Moparts

Preventing rust on chrome wheels

Posted By: 440mopar

Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/29/20 04:22 PM

I am going to have to put one of my cars outside with a cover for the rest of the winter. It has chrome wheels on it so I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on something I can apply to the wheels to keep them from rusting. I don't have any other tires/wheels to swap on the car so I'm hoping there is something that will work. The car won't be driven so salt is not an issue, just rain or snow. If it does snow, I will clean it off the wheels when the snow stops and I will dry them off after each rain. Suggestions?
Posted By: bbtrux

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/29/20 04:30 PM

.fluid film in a spray bomb.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/29/20 04:39 PM

I've used the Krown stuff--it comes in an aerosol can, too.

Whatever you spray on there, make sure you clean it off your brakes (especially if they are discs) before you try to drive it.
Posted By: topside

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/29/20 05:33 PM

One winter, I had to put my open trailer outside my shop under a tarp; sprayed its chrome steel wheels with WD40.
Washed trailer & wheels in spring and they were fine.
Posted By: 440mopar

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/29/20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by topside
One winter, I had to put my open trailer outside my shop under a tarp; sprayed its chrome steel wheels with WD40.

I was thinking maybe WD-40 might be an option. Probably what I will try since I already have a can.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/29/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by bbtrux
.fluid film in a spray bomb.

I agree with Fluid Film. Wont wash off as easy, like WD40. Grab a can at Lowes.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/30/20 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by topside

iagree wd/40 works fine
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/31/20 04:51 PM

Take care not to let your tires sit on the ground without some kind of barrier between the tire and the earth. I've used galvanized sheet metal, plastic sheets and concrete stepping stones.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 01/31/20 05:08 PM

Maybe get some of the tire covers you see people put on the RV and boat trailers to keep the sun from rotting the tires? Even some trash bags over the wheels would keep the water off. Not sure you'd want an air tight seal as it may trap humidity.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 02/01/20 01:37 PM

Keep the WD40 off of the brake rotors yellow
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 02/02/20 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by wingman
I've used the Krown stuff--it comes in an aerosol can, too.

Whatever you spray on there, make sure you clean it off your brakes (especially if they are discs) before you try to drive it.

The Krown stuff is like spraying vegetable oil on something. I had two cars done with Krown - after a short while, the stuff rinsed right off. It does not set-up any kind of film. Very unimpressed with Krown.
Posted By: RalleyA12

Re: Preventing rust on chrome wheels - 02/08/20 12:20 AM

Four concrete blocks, and take the wheels off. twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums