Moparts

Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers

Posted By: markz528

Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/27/20 03:43 PM

Anyone ever weld M/T Valve Covers? Any issues? Any suggestions?
Posted By: Dartsport540

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/27/20 04:08 PM

I had my friend tig weld my cast Mopar Performance valve cover. One of the corners cracked around the bolt hole. Just got to get it good and clean. Welded about 5 years ago. I put the valve cover on, so that you can't see it. Passenger side , in the back, lower hole.

Attached picture tn_IMG_0687.JPG
Posted By: Mattax

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/27/20 04:11 PM

Brian Slowe welded breather tubes onto a set for me. Said he didn't have any issues.

Attached picture Breathers-1.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3035.JPG
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/27/20 07:46 PM

In a roadside emergency, I glued a rear corner with bolt hole back on with the fast dry JB Weld. It held for thousands of miles and several months until the cover was replaced because of it. I believe it would still be fine to this day.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/28/20 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dartsport540
I had my friend tig weld my cast Mopar Performance valve cover. One of the corners cracked around the bolt hole. Just got to get it good and clean. Welded about 5 years ago. I put the valve cover on, so that you can't see it. Passenger side , in the back, lower hole.
iagree
Me too up

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/28/20 02:10 AM

Thanks! Any suggestions on what rod material to use?

I'm on a project that is ballooning in complexity. I believe that I will need to add material and then remachine. Will post pics when I'm done.

Need to practice. My tig welding skills are rusty................
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/28/20 02:44 AM

A general purpose aluminum rod will do just fine. I don't know what you're doing BUT get that sucker spotlessly clean first.. I'd run it through your parts washer then a couple cycles in your dishwasher. Then clean both the area and the rod with acetone just before welding.

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/28/20 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
A general purpose aluminum rod will do just fine. I don't know what you're doing BUT get that sucker spotlessly clean first.. I'd run it through your parts washer then a couple cycles in your dishwasher. Then clean both the area and the rod with acetone just before welding.

I need to move some bolt holes. Will de-grease it and I have a good industrial ultrasonic cleaner. Will put it through several cycles. Just finished welding my oil pan and it got the pan nice and clean for welding.

I always clean with acetone as a final clean. I can tig weld just haven't done it in a couple years.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/28/20 06:51 AM

I had my M/T covers welded from the inside up
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Any Issues Welding M/T Cast Valve Covers - 01/28/20 10:31 PM

This also works in non stress aluminum repairs

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
© 2024 Moparts Forums