Moparts

Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam?

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/19/20 10:47 PM

For those that have used a vacuum reservoir how did it work for you? I'm looking at 8" of idle vacuum in my W200. The reservoirs are cheap, the electric pumps not so much. I think I can convert to hydroboost for about the same amount of money, just a lot more work.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/19/20 11:23 PM

Don't waste your time on the reservoir. Junkyard should have a bunch of oem vacuum pumps for a lot less than the after market. Changing over to manual brakes works better than either one.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/19/20 11:29 PM

What about hydroboost? eek
Posted By: TJP

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Don't waste your time on the reservoir. .

iagree beer

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by moparpollack
What about hydroboost? eek

I've already done the conversion on my 92, I might have spent $200-$250 on it but it is a good amount of work and some fabrication. It does however provide for some awesome brakes and is the best option, just more than I want to do right now. Not sure converting to manual brakes (which is what I've always done in the past on cars) is a good idea on a 3/4 ton truck.
So what vehicles could I find an electric vacuum pump on in the junk yard?
Posted By: goldduster318

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 01:43 AM

Hydroboost is probably the best option overall.

If you do a vacuum pump, a 2011-2016 Cruze should be an easy one to find, has a nice isolated bracket that should be easy to retrofit onto a different vehicle. It's located on the driver's side framerail near the bottom. You can grab a check valve, vacuum switch, etc all from the same car that should get you where you need to go.

I believe all of them with the 1.4L Turbo and an automatic have one.

Attached picture cruzevacuumpump.jpg
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 03:25 AM

I would have thought the hydroboost would be more $$ than that.

A new electric pump on Amazon is similar money and should be a lot less work to install. The salvage yard solution would be the cheapest. Lots of GM cars used those as well as other makes.

Kevin
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 03:29 AM

Many GM vehicles that are turbocharged or have auto start/stop have vacuum pumps.

Reasonable price pump
Power Brake Booster Vacuum Pump Assembly 20804130 31317530
Amazon link
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 04:45 AM

Reservoir was fine for me

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Twostick
I would have thought the hydroboost would be more $$ than that.

A new electric pump on Amazon is similar money and should be a lot less work to install. The salvage yard solution would be the cheapest. Lots of GM cars used those as well as other makes.

Kevin

It might have been more I didn't keep track but a junkyard booster and seal kit is less than $80. Add in a master cylinder, hoses and fluid and it's not that much. I replaced the P/S pump as well on mine to the 2nd gen style to get the two return nipples but you don't have to, you can just tee into the existing return line.

This installation would most likely need custom hoses though.

Thanks for the info guys. That Amazon pump looks like it would work.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 02:55 PM

wouldn't a reservoir help keep the pump from running all the time ?
just wondering.
beer
Posted By: topside

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/20/20 04:22 PM

OEMs have been using vacuum pumps since the late '80s.
I use a GM one (from a junkyard) that makes about 5" for a pan-evac system on the race car.
It does make some noise, about like an electric fuel pump but more like a whistle than a buzz.
I use a relay and it's wired into the Run side of my ignition.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Vacuum reservoir or electric pump for big cam? - 01/21/20 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Don't waste your time on the reservoir. Junkyard should have a bunch of oem vacuum pumps for a lot less than the after market. Changing over to manual brakes works better than either one.

I am with the go manual , i did .
I had tried resovoir and electric pump , pump just never lasted . Granted this was a Comp type pump . I have used the GM type pumps with a pressure switch no resovoir on customer car , it seems to be working ok so far .
I have 4 wheel disc brakes now and they are fine .

Tex
© 2024 Moparts Forums