Moparts

Fender tag

Posted By: 70 buzz

Fender tag - 01/17/20 06:57 PM

I see some people are buying repo fender tag. I wonder how legal those are?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 07:09 PM

Nothing illegal about fake fender tags just improper. The law doesn't consider them an identifier like the VIN tag.

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 08:36 PM

I’ve seen Mopar trying to pass a car off being the real deal they are pretty much identified by just looking at one if you know what you are looking at. I had a friend ask me to look at one that was being passed off the real deal. It was as fake as my x-wife’s boobs. I told him to run cause what else could be misrepresented
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 08:38 PM

Two states have laws against remade fender tags, Michigan & Oklahoma.

Some fender tag 'services' may have started with good intentions, but every one of them I am currently aware of has made fakes for others.

Fake tags bring a cars value down even lower than the same car with a missing tag.

They taint the cars history forever & ruin the reputations of the fakers.

Same for fake broadcast sheets & window stickers.

Sadly, some members here help others make fakes as well.

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 70 buzz
I told him to run cause what else could be misrepresented

Natural reaction.

If someone had a fake tag made, what else is bogus?

The losers that do it open a 'Pandoras Box' into their own activities.
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 08:57 PM

only original once
Posted By: topside

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 11:10 PM

If a car has a repro FT, the original one had better be with the car or its paperwork.
I can understand having a repro tag if the original is damaged & unsightly, but to create one to falsify data is wrong.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 11:34 PM

After re-reading the ops original question and all the replies since I guess it’s best to just not add another question to this post.

Re: Fender tag - 01/17/20 11:51 PM

Definitions;

Original - We all know what that is.

Reproduction - An exact copy of the original with nothing changed.

Fake - Any detail guessed at or changed.

Custom - Obvious to all with no deceit in mind.

For cars missing fender tags if the owner just has to have one to 'fill the spot' I recommend one like this;

Attached picture reward tag fender tag - Copy.JPG
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Fender tag - 01/18/20 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by topside
If a car has a repro FT, the original one had better be with the car or its paperwork.
I can understand having a repro tag if the original is damaged & unsightly, but to create one to falsify data is wrong.

I have my pristine fender on my car and want to make another so I can put that on and not worry about someone stealing my original.

Re: Fender tag - 01/18/20 02:52 AM

I was told as long as it didn’t have the vin number it was perfectly legal.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Fender tag - 01/18/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Definitions;

Fake - Any detail guessed at or changed.

So if I have a car with no fender tag, I inventory all the options and equipment it has, and have a fender tag made to reflect that inventory, it is automatically a fake?

Re: Fender tag - 01/18/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
So if I have a car with no fender tag, I inventory all the options and equipment it has, and have a fender tag made to reflect that inventory, it is automatically a fake?

What would you have to guess at it that case?

The SPD & the VON for '69 up cars.

More guesses yet if it is a Lynch Road tag.

Guesses on tags are noticeable & yes, I call them fakes.

Re: Fender tag - 01/18/20 06:08 PM

What year did they start adding the vin to the tag 68?? Even car before they started adding the vin to the tag a person can make the car to reflect the car I would call fake. I see it has an alternative reason to try to make a car to the vin. Buyer beware. I seen fake build sheets also for what purposes, to me it is to deceive someone.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Fender tag - 01/18/20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 70 buzz
What year did they start adding the vin to the tag 68?? Even car before they started adding the vin to the tag a person can make the car to reflect the car I would call fake. I see it has an alternative reason to try to make a car to the vin. Buyer beware. I seen fake build sheets also for what purposes, to me it is to deceive someone.

Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee

What would you have to guess at it that case?

The SPD & the VON for '69 up cars.

More guesses yet if it is a Lynch Road tag.

Guesses on tags are noticeable & yes, I call them fakes.

Good points.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 07:20 PM

What if someone had all the original paperwork for a vehicle...( original broadcast sheet/original sales invoice/original window sticker/original title) and the fender tag was
long gone. Let's say the owner wanted to have a tag made, to reflect all the FACTORY CORRECT info from the original paperwork...is that a fake? work

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
What if someone had all the original paperwork for a vehicle...( original broadcast sheet/original sales invoice/original window sticker/original title) and the fender tag was
long gone. Let's say the owner wanted to have a tag made, to reflect all the FACTORY CORRECT info from the original paperwork...is that a fake? work

It depends........

Lynch Road fender tags have gate & series numbers that were not recorded on original paperwork.

Windsor used its own codes at times & some of their broadcast sheets have no option data printed from about 1/2 way down.

Hamtramck tags with the same SPD have a code on one car of the same model that does not appear on the car one VIN away even when the codes are on the broadcast sheets.

If I had a car with all that other documentation but no fender tag I'd leave it that way.

I would also consider going to a shop that does engraving to have a 'reward' tag made as mentioned above.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 08:08 PM

Hamtramck tags with the same SPD have a code on one car of the same model that does not appear on the car one VIN away even when the codes are on the broadcast sheets.

BW, Can you explain that a bit more? You mean a non option code? Also since ham had two lines would it be safe to say they had two tag machines? I ask that because I have two slightly different fonts on a few certain numbers on two tags, same SPD. id have to look but the vin is 3 off of each other, and it is not a fluke because its not a rare thing, the only thing I can come up with is they had two fonts, and oddly the same odd font deal carries over to the door stickers as well.

Ive actually two pairs of cars with the vins less then 8 apart, both pairs just goofy luck bought at different times.

I had a new door tag for one made and even ECS wasnt aware of the same day different font deal until I provided proof.

It depends........

Lynch Road fender tags have gate & series numbers that were not recorded on original paperwork.

Windsor used its own codes at times & some of their broadcast sheets have no option data printed from about 1/2 way down.

If I had a car with all that other documentation but no fender tag I'd leave it that way.

I would also consider going to a shop that does engraving to have a 'reward' tag made as mentioned above.

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 08:14 PM

So in essence, Alaskan...your'e saying a vehicle doesn't lose any of it's value, with the fender tag missing, as long as all the other documents are still with the car?
The vehicle in question here, is not a rare car, or even a factory 340/440 6bbl/Hemi...nothing like that, but a very clean V8 car with all it's ORIGINAL paperwork still with it.

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 08:24 PM

Here is an different font example, same SPD, just a few vins apart.

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 08:56 PM

So in essence, Alaskan...your'e saying a vehicle doesn't lose any of it's value, with the fender tag missing, as long as all the other documents are still with the car?
The vehicle in question here, is not a rare car, or even a factory 340/440 6bbl/Hemi...nothing like that, but a very clean V8 car with all it's ORIGINAL paperwork still with it.

I did not say that at all.

If any original item of documentation is missing, the value would be less than the same car with all of its original documentation.

If a tag is 'replaced' via data from other, fully supporting documentation the value is still less than the same car with an original tag.

Fake paperwork, tags etc. all lower the value of any car too.

Any bogus numbers taint the cars history as well as the owners reputation.

From /6 to Hemi, there are an amazing amount of fakes in this hobby & it is not amazing in a good way.

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead

That happens on original broadcast sheets for the same car too.

Different printers with different fonts.

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 08:59 PM

How would you attribute that to two stamped tags with the different font, two machines?

That happens on original broadcast sheets for the same car too.

Different printers with different fonts.

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 09:03 PM

How would you attribute that to two stamped tags with the different font, two machines?

Got photos?

Every plant had more than one person stamping tags & there were multiple machines.

LAs 'thin' font comes to mind, but even those are being faked.

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 09:14 PM

Here is an example, same SPD one has the straight lower leg 7 one has the dog legged 7.

This is not a fluke and both tags are real, I could post maybe 20 examples of stamped tags with the font off on certain numbers/letters. The difference covers three years. All built at ham.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Fender tag - 01/19/20 11:53 PM

I can't decide whether to keep this original or get a fake !! confused

Attached picture Hmm.jpg

Re: Fender tag - 01/21/20 10:06 PM

I did not say that at all.

If any original item of documentation is missing, the value would be less than the same car with all of its original documentation.

If a tag is 'replaced' via data from other, fully supporting documentation the value is still less than the same car with an original tag.

Fake paperwork, tags etc. all lower the value of any car too.

Any bogus numbers taint the cars history as well as the owners reputation.

From /6 to Hemi, there are an amazing amount of fakes in this hobby & it is not amazing in a good way.

Well I am convinced NOT to purchase a repro tag for my vehicle. Even though I have all original documents: broadcast sheet,monroney label,sales invoice,title from original buyer, and also the owners manual....still wish I knew the fate of the original missing tag, it bugs me! Thanks Barry for the info! thumbs

© 2024 Moparts Forums