Moparts

Wiper linkage won't stay on

Posted By: feets

Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 12:26 AM

Have you guys run into an issue where the wiper bushings won't cooperate?
The bushings on my 92 D250 broke so I replaced them today using a touch of white lithium grease. I installed the linkage and it popped off twice. On round three it held so I put the cowl and everything back together. When I ran them again it survived three wipes before popping off.
One bushing came from NAPA and the other from Autozone.

I can hear and feel the bushings popping into place and have no idea why this has become such an issue.

It's dark so I'm done messing with it for now.

It is supposed to rain tomorrow and I need to hook 13,000 lbs to the truck and get it down the road before the ugly storms hit on Friday.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 01:05 AM

I replaced them this summer on my 1995 B-van,Dorman parts were used.One popped off las week in the snow.I used lithium grease also the first time but decided to snap it over the pivot dry this time.I think the nylon bushing is slippery enough on it's own and the grease helped it pop off imo.
RT
Posted By: calrobb2000

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 01:09 AM

hi

too much grease may be the prob .

try them dry .
Posted By: iapco103

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 01:49 AM

Been there , done that. They need to pop TWICE before they are fully seated. If you stop after the first pop, it will come loose. Squeeze em down with pliers and the excess grease will come out. Paul
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by iapco103
Been there , done that. They need to pop TWICE before they are fully seated. If you stop after the first pop, it will come loose. Squeeze em down with pliers and the excess grease will come out. Paul

iagree PITA job I'm not going to miss. 2¢ Shouldn't this have been your 4th or 5th round of bushings by now?
Posted By: iapco103

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

iagree PITA job I'm not going to miss. 2¢ Shouldn't this have been your 4th or 5th round of bushings by now?

You are far too kind in your assessment of that job, LOL. Paul
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 02:57 AM

the mopar bushings seem to work better for me. 3799089
Posted By: feets

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

Yeah, this will be the 4th time for this job on my truck.
Posted By: SIX225

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 08:23 PM

Been awhile since I replaced the bushings on my Dart, but is there an issue when installing the linkage and clocking it correctly? Replaced the wiper motor on my father's minivan last fall, and just connected the linkage (he disassembled it, which included removing the arms themselves.). When I ran the wipers, it over extended the travel downward, and stripped the bracket into the splined shaft on the motor. Turns out I needed to clock the pivots, then the bracket to the motor, finally the wiper arms.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/09/20 11:17 PM

The dorman bushings I recently bought for my Dakota were too small. I had one left from a package I bought at least ten yrs ago, the part #'s were the same, but the size was different. The diameter was different, and the depth too. Maybe because of the different depth, its not fully seating?

I ended up scavenging a 40 yr old set off extra wiper linkage I had laying around. Didn't have time to source the Mopar ones.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Wiper linkage won't stay on - 01/14/20 05:05 PM

did you completely pull the link out of the truck? The only time I ever had trouble with the linkage popping back off was when I didn't get the linkage back in correctly. Had an in law yapping while I was working.And I always put a touch of grease on the new bushings.
© 2024 Moparts Forums