Moparts

Another transmission question shift

Posted By: exile5700

Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 05:43 PM

I have 3 bb transmissions that none are out of a Challenger, will i still be able to use them and use a floor shift? Car has a column shift but was thinking of going with an aftermarket floor shift? Is there a difference between the cases? Thanks for any info!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 06:02 PM

Any 727 will accept an aftermarket shifter because they mount on the pan rail or tailhousing. To use a factory floor shifter, the tailhousing has to have the two "bumps" on the bottom for the shifter bracket.

Attached picture tailhousing bumps2.jpg

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 06:18 PM

Thank you. Is that just an E body case? or did other cars use it?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 06:33 PM

Check out how to videos online on installing an aftermarket auto trans cable operated floor shifter and you will see how to mount it to the trans. Normally it's a bracket that mounts where the tail housing bolts to the trans and a second bracket mounted with the pan bolts.

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 06:55 PM

Will do, thank you.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Check out how to videos online on installing an aftermarket auto trans cable operated floor shifter and you will see how to mount it to the trans. Normally it's a bracket that mounts where the tail housing bolts to the trans and a second bracket mounted with the pan bolts.

I converted my factory shifter to cable on my 68 Charger, work awesome.

Attached picture 5 7 12.JPG
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by csk
Originally Posted by stumpy

I converted my factory shifter to cable on my 68 Charger, work awesome.

Is there a kit to do it??
Posted By: CSK

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 09:29 PM

Not that I know of, I bought a B&M cable & brackets & linkage that goes on the trans, made the bracket at the shifter.
Posted By: Prodart440

Re: Another transmission question shift - 01/08/20 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by csk
Not that I know of, I bought a B&M cable & brackets & linkage that goes on the trans, made the bracket at the shifter.

Thanks. I'll look into that!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums