Moparts

dash circuit board help

Posted By: Stroker Scamp

dash circuit board help - 01/04/20 12:49 AM

I am working on a 72 Dodge Dart and was taking the wiring harness off the back of the gauge cluster.
Well 1/2 of the pins came off the board with the harness, any one know if someone repairs these things?
I know you can get a new one but they are on back order and put up an add for a used one. Just wanted
to see if there are any other options. I did try to solder them back but it didn't take.
Thanks
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/04/20 01:08 AM

I be never done it but I think it ps possible to epoxy the pin back on the board and just sold a jumper to it for the electrical connection.

I’ve repairs a lot of boards, just never a dash board with those pins.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/04/20 01:17 AM

https://premiumdashdecals.com/shop/...ter-scamp-dart-dart-sport-standard-dash/

I know he can fix them, don't know what he charges. but he seems to have new ones in stock.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/04/20 02:58 AM

The pins can be replaced with a Mulinex type plug but it will require cutting the old plug off.

Years ago I had the tool that swedges those type pins onto the PCB. The pins are not soldered on, just tightly swedged. Works fine till you fiddle with the connector. I have saved a few by taking a steel tube from a ink pin that fit snug over the pins. Then with the loose pin set in place on the PCB, use a center punch to re-swedge the pin to the board.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/04/20 03:35 AM

I have removed the part left in the board and inserting the pin through from the back side. Find a nail that will force the pin to be tight in the hole when forced into the pin. Then solder the pin to the board. Easy and cheap.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/04/20 10:12 AM

My pins never had came off like that but it become loosen from the PCB at the point I could remove it with my hand couple of them. I noticed had a problem because some light or guage came in and out moving the conector on back. I reinstalled, tried to spread out the teeth on back like factory made ( need to remove the PCB from housing of course ) the best I could and solded them to the track on front. No problem since that.

If pins remain still some loosen, you could ad some epoxy glue from backside after they are solded to the track in front. Pins are empty inside so some epoxy inside up to the back of the PCB should be enough.
Posted By: moparx

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/04/20 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
I have removed the part left in the board and inserting the pin through from the back side. Find a nail that will force the pin to be tight in the hole when forced into the pin. Then solder the pin to the board. Easy and cheap.

i have done exactly this. i used a tiny finishing nail or a paneling nail to insert into the pin.
this method works like a charm !
beer
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/05/20 02:03 AM

I've done it using the screws from an eyeglass repair kit to pull the pin onto the board followed by a tiny bit of solder. Worked very well. You have to pick the correct size screw. Big enough to allow the threads to cut into the hollow pin but not expand the pin too much that the connector won't fit.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/05/20 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by shorthorse
I've done it using the screws from an eyeglass repair kit to pull the pin onto the board followed by a tiny bit of solder. Worked very well. You have to pick the correct size screw. Big enough to allow the threads to cut into the hollow pin but not expand the pin too much that the connector won't fit.

iagree
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/05/20 06:50 PM

Thanks for the ideas!!
Posted By: Sniper

Re: dash circuit board help - 01/05/20 06:56 PM

As a note to anyone reading this thread and while you have the dash out, such as when you are replacing the dash lights.. It might be a good idea to preemptively solder these pins before they fail. I did that years ago on my Swinger but I didn't have a problem and never did, so it might be overkill but it's easier to upgrade than repair in this case.
© 2024 Moparts Forums