Moparts

Which sb OD trans is an easy swap....

Posted By: I_bleed_MOPAR

Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/02/20 01:36 PM

Spitballin' here. Should have paid more attention when others asked basically the same question. And of course, I don't seem to be able to use the right search words. spank

What trans uses a simple on-off button for the OD and no electronics? A500 or 518? And would it live behind a 360 in a pick-up doing moderate towing?

Thanks,

Tim
Posted By: mrob

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/02/20 01:49 PM

I'd say look for an early (1988-1995) hydraulically controlled A-518. You can wire the OD to engage with a switch or even engage automatically using pressure switches. Be aware that the non lockup units (1988-1992) are much easier to wire through a switch. You just need 1 switch to engage the OD unit. The later units (1992-1996) with the lock up converters would need 2 switches (one for OD, the other for the converter). That would be cumbersome to control with switches alone, so you really would need pressure switches and/or a timer for the lock up converter.

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/02/20 02:13 PM

Thanks, the '88-'95 unit is the one I was thinking of. Do you have to activate the OD very time or can you simply leave the switch in the "ON" postion?

Tim
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/02/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by I_bleed_MOPAR
Thanks, the '88-'95 unit is the one I was thinking of. Do you have to activate the OD very time or can you simply leave the switch in the "ON" postion?

Tim

If you leave it on the transmission will shift immediately into fourth gear as soon as it shifts into third. It will still down shift on its own with speed, but will not down shift with the kick down. Leaving it on effectively makes it a three speed with a non-functioning kick down. I don't think it does anything bad to the transmission itself. This is only for OD though. You cannot leave lock-up on if you have a model that does have it - that will do damage.

Honestly though, a pressure switch and vacuum switch is all that you need to automate fourth gear. Add one more pressure for lock-up. It's not complicated at all.

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/02/20 02:59 PM

Thanks. Food for thought. wink Just thinking of a possible future project and how to do it. up

Tim
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/02/20 03:00 PM

Everything you need plus instructions for it to work without driver input. Once it;s installed is handles the chore for you. $88 plus they are current running a 10% off deal.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop...ere-for-727-to-46rh-swap-wiring-diagram/

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/02/20 04:09 PM

Thanks, Sniper. thumbs

Tim
Posted By: rbkt65

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/03/20 01:20 AM

sniper is right. i have a friend that has a 5.2 and 518 in 37 chrysler. he put one of those kits on and simply loves it. so much so, that he ordered on for his 49 olymouth. now i am ordering one for my 85 d150 that i am putting a 5.9/518 combo in.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/03/20 04:11 AM

CRT John Cope can fix you up
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/05/20 01:09 AM

RB, what did your friend select for the "speeds" for the OD and lockup? I am thinking of going with "44" for OD and"50" for lockup. Mine will be a 42RH behind a built up 318, want to use 3.55 gears in an ebody.

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/05/20 02:17 AM

he went with 44 and 50 that patc lets you choose when picking speeds. but he also ordered an adjustable one for 49 for extra monies.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/05/20 02:28 PM

I'm actively looking into the 4l65 swap for my Gen3 Cuda because it's a small case design with OD and lockup. I don't know enough about it quite honestly to "sell" the idea to anyone else but it may be something to look into for you.

Because it's a GM trans, parts seem to be available, affordable, and you can buy supporting parts and pieces at Jegs/Summit
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/06/20 11:00 AM

I put a 2002 A500 in my Charger behind a 1995 5.9 Magnum. I mounted two switches on the console. With 3.55 gears I did not need to switch them on until I hit the highway. It never bothered me

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/06/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet
I'm actively looking into the 4l65 swap for my Gen3 Cuda because it's a small case design with OD and lockup. I don't know enough about it quite honestly to "sell" the idea to anyone else but it may be something to look into for you.

Because it's a GM trans, parts seem to be available, affordable, and you can buy supporting parts and pieces at Jegs/Summit

I can see this having upsides if the OP was inquiring about an OD automatic behind a big block, but seeing as how Mopar made transmissions that bolt right up to his small block it probably isn't worth it. When I stuck a 518 in my Fifth Ave behind a 360 I did it for under $1k. The aftermarket support isn't lacking either.

Then again, if it doesn't require surgery to make it fit then toss everything I said right out the window.

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/06/20 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by dfsmopars
I put a 2002 A500 in my Charger behind a 1995 5.9 Magnum. I mounted two switches on the console. With 3.55 gears I did not need to switch them on until I hit the highway. It never bothered me

Kind of defeats the purpose of having an automatic, doesn't it? whistling shruggy
Posted By: furious70

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/06/20 08:05 PM

I have an a500 behind the turbocharged 383 in my 70 Fury. Psi switches for OD @ 45pmh and lockup @60mph, 3.91's and 28" tires, I don't like to lug it around. In the C body no tunnel work, just a custom mount.

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/06/20 10:17 PM

Thanks for all the input. up I just scored a Dakota QC 2wd, 5 spd. with no engine for a song. Durango is a little ragged after the 2 not-my-fault accidents & really miss having a truck. Engine & many of the parts from the Durango will live on in the Dakota. I think it will be a fun little ride. Reason I asked about a simple OD auto swap is if I get tired of rowing a stick. I'm not getting any younger & since we moved back closer to Atlanta traffic is a bear. frown

Thanks again.

Tim
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/08/20 04:48 AM

Since the A 500 is based on the later 904, it should have the 2.75 low first gear. That would help staring when pulling a load.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/08/20 06:36 PM

A 500 or a 518 will directly swap with each other without driveshaft swaps, etc. Same exact OD housing used on either one. Unlike a swap between a 904 and 727, these OD transmissions are the same overall length. I've put 518 (46RH) in place of 500 (42/44RH) a couple of times now. I'd go with the heavier duty trans of them every time.
But then I live 2 county's south of Chicago, among corrnfields, avoid Chicago like the plague anyway, and with all else being equal I'd rather row gears any time I can. Though I've been hurt badly twice over the years (right knee and then the ankle several years later) and both times the DR saying whether I could drive depended on whether my ride was auto or stick... Both times I had stick equipped vehicles so had to borrow vehicles or be chauffered around.
But yeah I have heard that Atlanta is 10x worse to drive around in than Chicago which is plenty bad in its own right. I'll have to take the word on the street about Atlanta, never been there.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/08/20 11:22 PM

I've been to Atlanta during rush hour many times. Let's just say I would rather slam my male member in a sliding glass door than drive through that everyday.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/09/20 04:28 PM

the real question is, why are you standing at a see through sliding glass door with your male member hanging out in the first place ? shock
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/09/20 09:26 PM

Because someone wanted him to drive thru Atlanta

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/09/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I've been to Atlanta during rush hour many times. Let's just say I would rather slam my male member in a sliding glass door than drive through that everyday.

shock shocked

While I hate Atlanta traffic (even up here in the 'burbs), I don't think I would go that far, GJ. wink grin

Like I said, I ain't gettin' any younger and for the time being I still love rowin' a stick. But there may come a day.... wink

Tim
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/12/20 01:41 AM

Tim.....don't be surprised if you make up new cuss words when you go to put the trans cross member back in the Dak! That was one of the hardest chores I had when I rebuilt Susan's 4 door Dakota! rant

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/12/20 04:44 PM

I think after 28 yrs. as a dealer tech, I have mastered and made up all available cuss words. Daughter and SIL were picking at me one day when one slipped out. I told them you definitely don't want to be around me working on a car that is giving me trouble. wink biggrin laugh2
Actually the trans is still in the truck. They just unbolted the engine and slid it out. up

Tim
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/17/20 12:52 AM

Our crossmember was such a tight fit between the frame rails....I think I could have left the bolts out, lol. After I finally got it started with a BFH, it wasn't too bad.
Posted By: V10nacuda

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/17/20 01:27 PM

If you're going to add the transmission why not just go for the overdrive and lock up. Unless you really need a performance converter and even that I think is available if you want to pay $$. Did a added od to a 76 d100... nice to drive!
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/21/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dfsmopars

How did you do that with a fully electronic valve body? I thought the hydraulic valve body went away after the 1995 model year?
Posted By: 360view

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/22/20 12:13 PM

What various parts and mods would be a good idea to beef up a 1995 A500 to go behind a mostly stock 1995 Magnum 5.9 V8 ?

A500 2.75 front planetary is interesting to me because I wonder how a
2.75 planetary/ 2.76 diff
Would compare to my present
2.45 planetary/ 3.21 diff
Drivetrain.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/22/20 01:35 PM

that is easy to figure out.
a 904 1st gear is 2.45 x 3.21 rear gear = 7.86 start out gearing.
A500 1st gear is 2.75 x 2.76 rear gear = 7.59 start out gearing.
just about what you have now for all practical purposes.
beer
Posted By: BlueGhost

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/25/20 12:14 AM

Or another way to think about it 2.76 x 2.75 / 2.45 = 3.098.

So 1st gear in the A500 with a 2.76 rear gear would be equivalent to having a roughly 3.10 gear and a 904. Which, as moparx said, is about the same as 3.21 behind a 904.
Posted By: hulmule

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/25/20 02:03 AM

No being up on swaps, new to this A500. Have 77, 79 Traildusters 4X4 I would like to put in an over drive. Thought only options were finding a 1991-1993 A518

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/26/20 02:31 AM

From what I understand, a 518 is basically a 727 w/ OD & is found from '88-'96. The '92-'96 are lock-up units. A 500 trans is basically a 904 w/ OD. If that's the case (and I'm hoping someone corrects me if I'm wrong wink ), I would probably go with the later 518 for a TrailDuster for the lock-up feature. up Several members made on the first page for suggestions of the kit to rig the up the OD & lock-up. beer

Tim
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/26/20 09:55 AM

Lock up was available on both the large and small series overdrives.

You can turn a non-lockup unit into one using the correct valve body, pump, input shaft and converter.

Re: Which sb OD trans is an easy swap.... - 01/26/20 01:13 PM

i have a 91 d150 that is tbi 318. it has a non lockup 518. i will use it for a project but from what i have seen/heard, some guys with more hp want this trans because they can put their conv in it without spending big bucks for new conv. i d it by it having 2 pin connector not 3 pin. i have a friend that uses the patc kit and i have one on shelf for my next project. good piece.
© 2024 Moparts Forums