Moparts

Wheel edge rim protectors?

Posted By: UCUDANT

Wheel edge rim protectors? - 12/30/19 03:11 PM

My wife has scraped a curb or two trying to get close to the curb in her Charger.
She has expressed interest in some of these curb protectors. (I'd match her wheel color)
CLICK HERE Weel lip protector
Might hitting a curb with these knock an end off causing it to strike the paint as she drove?
Maybe they are soft enough that hitting curbs doesn't knock them off
Has anyone used them and has input?

Edit: This video appears to show that they stay on CLICK HERE
Posted By: DZJim

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 12/30/19 05:02 PM

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22curb+feeler%22&t=ffsb&atb=v1-1&ia=web

Haven't seen any on a car lately. Quite common back in the 50's. Of course time change...more tightly sealed interiors, air-con, massive sound systems, etc.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 12/30/19 05:38 PM

Looks interesting. I've got one scuffed wheel lip on my 16 Dart. I could probably use this to cover the scuff and protect the wheel from future damage. The link doesn't say how many feet you get though. The roll looks small like you need to buy multiple kits to do all 4 wheels.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 12/30/19 06:04 PM

The car washes are going to love those LOL beer
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 12/30/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
Looks interesting. I've got one scuffed wheel lip on my 16 Dart. I could probably use this to cover the scuff and protect the wheel from future damage. The link doesn't say how many feet you get though. The roll looks small like you need to buy multiple kits to do all 4 wheels.

One customer review reported that one roll did four 17" wheels with some extra
Posted By: moparjack44

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/01/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DZJim
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22curb+feeler%22&t=ffsb&atb=v1-1&ia=web

Haven't seen any on a car lately. Quite common back in the 50's. Of course time change...more tightly sealed interiors, air-con, massive sound systems, etc.

Could not open your link, but I have a set of original 50's curb feelers. Had them on my 48 DeSoto for a while. Real conversation pieces, especially from the younger generation.. Think I will put them back on before summer. stirthepot
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/02/20 09:58 PM

I've seen them on cars but never seen if they work since they are taped on..
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/03/20 01:01 AM

Cheap enough that I went for it. I'll let you all know what the results are.

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/04/20 03:29 AM

Ok, this a u shaped piece of rubber 1/4" wide with 1/8" 3m tape in the center. I wonder what it's original use was before they decided to market it as a rim protector.

Attached picture wheel edge guard 001.JPG

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/06/20 03:22 PM

That's pretty much what I thought it would be. Have you had time to install them yet? Please report back.

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/06/20 05:06 PM

The went on very easily and look good. I have had any road time yet. Where the ends come together I did add a drop of super glue.

Attached picture 2011 Jeep GC 002.JPG
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/07/20 10:03 PM

How about some old school ghetto cruiser curb finders?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/United-Pacific-Chrome-Curb-Feelers-Vintage-Style-Pair-Model-70203/223649740931?epid=4029180660&hash=item3412903883:g:JYAAAOSwuY1dbs1x

Attached picture s-l1600bbbb.jpg

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/08/20 02:04 PM

The went on very easily and look good. I have had any road time yet. Where the ends come together I did add a drop of super glue.

Thanks for the update. I think I'll try some myself. up

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/08/20 06:13 PM

Well they stayed on at 80mph but the big test will be when I hit the car wash next week. If you do get them make sure you wait for a warm day,70*, to be sure the 3m tape will stick. I hit mine with a hot hair dryer after I got done installing to be sure. Just enough to make the plastic warm and press the strip down as you go around. Biggest thing is clean ,clean ,clean rim edge. Soap and water wash followed by an wipe down with alcohol and then paper towel to be sure the rim is clean and dry. Sounds like more work than it really is. The strip lays against the rim very nicely as you go due to it's U shape.
Posted By: 300rag

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/10/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by burdar

I read the description as being an 8M roll - about 26'

Re: Wheel edge rim protectors? - 01/10/20 05:58 PM

The 26' roll did 4 18" wheels and 67" left over . An 18" wheel used 61.25 ". 1 roll should do 4 22" wheels.
© 2024 Moparts Forums