Moparts

Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body

Posted By: Anonymous

Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 12:44 PM

Vehicle is a 1970 Dart.

1) Read another post that mentioned a 5/16" roll pin to disconnect the column from the box... That was going to be my first question, "Size of punch required". So unless told otherwise I will assume this is correct (sounds about right)...?

2) I'm going to replace the wiper pivot gaskets. Should I just use the valve stem seal trick, or is there something better now?

I've "tilted-back" the dashboard on many other Chrysler products, but never an A-body. On a C-body there are screws at the edges of the defrost ducts that hold the dashboard in at the top. I don't see anything like this on the Dart. Where should I look for those screws?

Thanks.
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 12:46 PM

almost positive on an a body you have to take the front windshield out to get to the dash bolts on the top

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 12:49 PM

Quote:

almost positive on an a body you have to take the front windshield out to get to the dash bolts on the top

Gadzooks! If that's the case, this dashboard will not be removed!

Advantage C-body!
Posted By: cool_cuda

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 12:52 PM

A bodies you dont have to take the glass out! as for the screws there are a couple place about 6-8inchs apart starting at each side of the A-pillars Have to taken out the glove box that may make it easier to see in there

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 12:55 PM

Ok, sorry dont listen to me its been a while. I just rember the bolts being "hidden"

Your trying to take the frame out/ lean it back correct? Not just the dash pad....

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 01:15 PM

Quote:

A bodies you dont have to take the glass out! as for the screws there are a couple place about 6-8inchs apart starting at each side of the A-pillars Have to taken out the glove box that may make it easier to see in there

I would assume means removing the instrument cluster on the other side... By that point it hardly seems worth removing the dash. (I'm not painting it or anything) just looking for easy access to the wiper pivots, and would check the heater core while I was there.
Posted By: 71ChargerSE

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 01:31 PM

I just took the dash pad out of my 74 Duster and you can see the wiper pivots through some fairly large holes in the dash frame.To remove the pad you just have to reach up and remove nuts from underside of the pad and a screw on each end.The windshield does have to come out to remove the entire dash.

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 01:38 PM

Quote:

I just took the dash pad out of my 74 Duster and you can see the wiper pivots through some fairly large holes in the dash frame.

These being the instrument panel and glove box holes, correct? I have no need to remove the pad, it's in perfect shape.

Any thoughts on what I should use for the pivot gaskets?
Posted By: klunick

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 01:49 PM

I thought they made a kit for the gaskets and the rubber. At least that is what I bought but I haven't installed anything yet.

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 01:53 PM

I thought the windshield had to come out to get to the frame

I used small block chevy valve stem seals on my 68rr. Worked great!

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 01:58 PM

Quote:

I used small block chevy valve stem seals on my 68rr. Worked great!

That's what I'll use then... A "real" parts store should sell them individually, I think.

I was just thinking about UV effect on a rubber part not designed for sunlight, but I suppose it would last as long as the OEM or resto parts. I don't really need any other gaskets from a kit, just these.
Posted By: west

Re: Removing Steering Column & Dash from A-body - 03/23/09 02:21 PM

the only way to remove the dash without removing the glass is to cut the screw out and then re-install smaller ones upside down.
it can be done but i recomend removing the windshield

anyways,as said before if you remove the dash pad there are large holes in the dash to access behind it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums