Moparts

Chrome window trim cleaning

Posted By: Sammy

Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/22/19 09:35 PM

I got alot of basecoat and clear on a few pieces of windshield chrome trim.
How can I get it clean and look good again?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/22/19 10:10 PM

Most of the stuff that people think is chrome is actually stainless steel. Try paint stripper or solvent/reducer.

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/22/19 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
Most of the stuff that people think is chrome is actually stainless steel. Try paint stripper or solvent/reducer.

I tried that.
Theres just way too much paint on the trim.

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/22/19 11:50 PM

How does this front windshield trim come off?
I got the rear off, it was held on with screws.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/23/19 12:07 AM

Silly question whistling What's the car ????

Sillier question, how did this happen ?? shruggy
Posted By: dan9

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/24/19 04:00 PM

What car has the trim held on by screws? To answer your question the safest way is use the same reducer that you used in the paint.

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/25/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by dan9
What car has the trim held on by screws? To answer your question the safest way is use the same reducer that you used in the paint.

I'm talking about the front windshield trim.
There are no screws holding it on. How does it come off?

Going to try the reducer today without taking off the trim but I think it's not going to work. Basecoat clearcoat has been on for months now.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/25/19 03:02 PM

Take it off, use paint stripper, clean, polish, reinstall. Any chemical means you will use is likely to damage the paint you want to keep.

As for how to take it off, that depends on what vehicle it is. The body section of the FSM usually covers that.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/25/19 08:15 PM

You need a special tool to release the inside fasteners on most Mopar front windshield trim used on 1968 A bodies, not sure about B and C bodies
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/25/19 11:16 PM

I bought trim remover kit from Harbor Freight cheap. I knew it wasn't the kind of think I needed often or in high quality. It has several pieces and all the ones you may need.
Posted By: dssaa

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/26/19 04:19 AM

Nail polish remover....the acetone type. I use it all the time...and no, not on my nails....Less harsh then paint stripper. And cheap.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: Chrome window trim cleaning - 12/26/19 06:44 AM

Wedge a piece of thin plastic sheet between trim & body. Shields the painted side. Go at mldg with 0000 steelwool, or 000 to start. If paint comes off, you've also "polished" the mldg. w/o removing. Any solvent are likely to come in contact with the paint with dire consequences.
© 2024 Moparts Forums