Moparts

anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ?

Posted By: moparx

anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/12/19 05:38 PM

has anyone changed 69 B body side reflectors into lights ? if so, how did you do it ?
i want to do this to my charger, and i'm looking for suggestions before i start.
TIA ! up
beer
Posted By: burdar

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/12/19 06:48 PM

Cool idea! Make sure to post photos when you're done. I'd like to see someone do something similar to a 70 Cuda side marker. They just look weird with only one corner lit up. Seeing the entire side marker illuminated would be a cool custom touch.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/12/19 08:40 PM

somebody did someday in the past the led strip job on them ( between lense and bezel ) what should be pretty much straight up. Regular incandescent bulb could be a bit harder.

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 04:25 PM

i was considering LED's as well. since i have a loose lens around here somewhere, and some rolls of LED strips, [red, amber, and clear] i'll see what comes of this.
i'll definitely post pics when done. now all i have to do, is find that lens ! runaway
beer

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 04:27 PM

Don't use the clear LEDs. Use colored ones. The bright white LEDs will bleach out the lenses. The amber lenses will look white and the red lenses will look pink.

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 04:30 PM

i thought the red ones were what you used for red lenses ? shruggy
or are there different colors of red LED's ?
beer
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 04:31 PM

YearOne has some LEDs, here is a link.. https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/led69#prettyPhoto

Kinda pricey and I don't know if they look all that great. Can you use the 70 style in the place of the 69? Not sure of size differences...

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 04:38 PM

Yes...use red LEDs and amber LEDs...not white. up

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 04:48 PM

i think for year one's price, i'll fab my own, thanks.
i'm not sure how the 70 light compares to the 69 reflector, size wise. i don't have a 70 light to compare with. although something back in the cobwebs of my old mind seems to make me think the 70 assembly is a little longer and a little shorter than the 69. i really don't know.
beer

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 05:11 PM

On my 68 Dart, the reverse light panel is thin and long but there is just 1 bulb on the inside corner. I'm thinking about mounting something like this in parallel across the entire lens....so the entire lens will light up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-White-5050-15SMD-Panel-Led-RV-Interior-Dome-Light-Bulb-1156-BA15S-Adapters/253410200337?epid=12014370668&hash=item3b006ccb11:g:9VYAAOSw42dZEC7Q

If they made something like this in amber and red, you could fill the entire lens with light. Those Year One LEDs look kind of lame IMO.

Not sure why that link isn't working...sorry.

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 05:16 PM

with using an 1156 bulb, i wonder how much heat would be put off, and being close to the lens, would it melt ?
beer

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 05:18 PM

I didn't think LEDs put out near the heat like an incandescent? In a reverse light application, it would only be on a very short amount of time so I don't thing that's an issue. For side markers, your question would need to be answered.
Posted By: 68Cbarge

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 07:33 PM

For the 69 model years,why bother?
One of the few "middle finger" things Chrysler did to work around the feds requirements.

I may sound like a purist,but I do have LED's in my 68 Newport inside and out.
Sure great idea and nice custom touch,if it aint broke,why fix it??
On the GF's 69 Fury III will be doing LED front and rear park and turnsignals but leaving the reflectors alone
LOL!

Attached picture FURY 3.jpg
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by 68Cbarge
For the 69 model years,why bother?
I may sound like a purist,but I do have
On the GF's 69 Fury III will be doing LED front and rear park and turnsignals but leaving the reflectors alone
LOL!

LOL what?
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/13/19 11:24 PM

FWIW, 70 side markers are bigger than 69. You can open up the holes and it would look ok.

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/14/19 09:07 AM

If you want to use incandescent bulbs, the deal is fabricate the housing for the bulb/socket assembly, depending on bulb. MAYBE the easier could be get some 72 and laters sidemarkers, used for the cheap and cut the socket receptacle. Then cut the hole on 69 bezel wherever you want, centered like 72 and lates or at the ends like 70s to glue/weld this receptacle. These sidemarkers uses wedge kind bulbs and sockets are available everywhere

Dunno if this is posible since I can't recall how the 69 sidemarkers are attached on back
Posted By: meathead66

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/16/19 09:31 PM

Just drill the applicable hole on the holder'

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/69-dart-side-markers.289707/

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/16/19 11:07 PM

Yeap! Holder is in the middle! That would be the challenge, but seems to be a nice idea. Just get the socket with spring kind retainer and match the hole on holder! Get the cut of course done on bezel! And maybe a rubber gasket between holder and bezel to seal it! Some white paint on inner side of holder too.

Something like this?

http://www.oemsurplus911.com/automotive/lightsockets/8524.htm

( I guess holder is able to get grounded when assembling on body )

You could even add a refractor filter in the middle of lense to disperse the bulb spot light on lense, like 72 and later got
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: anyone change 69 side reflectors into lights ? - 12/17/19 12:03 AM

I want this option as well. was thinking about LED. as this may be easier with the limited clearance available? I like this thread!
© 2024 Moparts Forums