Moparts

paint question for neubie

Posted By: cjs69mope

paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 05:22 PM

I just got done painting my car in garage , heated to 80 deg. 1230 am last night .
I need to paint more parts that i based coated yesterday
My question is how soon can I pull the car body out of the garage to cold 40 deg out side temp?
IT has been only 8 hrs since clear coated and air dry at 70-80 deg temp heat in garage .
Should I be concerned that temp change could cause a issue?
Thanks Moparts for the help.
CJ.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 05:29 PM

I don't think temp is your concern. It's debris, bugs, etc.getting into the paint while still tacky.

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 05:35 PM

it is dry dust no bugs up here now was worried about condensation due to temp change
Posted By: markz528

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 05:42 PM

I would leave it warm for at least 24 hours. I would like to see 70 degrees minimum.
Posted By: jcc

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 06:00 PM

Patience Grasshopper. biggrin
Posted By: TJP

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 06:17 PM

To answer the question with any certainty you really should take to the paint Mfr's rep. There are a lot of variables involved that cannot all be answered here.
My advice is to wait unless you want to do it again. frown twocents beer

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 06:24 PM

I checked the under side of rocker panel it is dry and pretty hard so i am going to drape plastic paint mask over whole car and leave inside while i spray other parts with clear that should keep over spray off and not have to bring out side shop.
very limited time got to getter done!
thanks again .
Posted By: BloFish

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by markz528
I would leave it warm for at least 24 hours. I would like to see 70 degrees minimum.

Good advice.
Posted By: chrisf

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by cjs69mope
I checked the under side of rocker panel it is dry and pretty hard so i am going to drape plastic paint mask over whole car and leave inside while i spray other parts with clear that should keep over spray off and not have to bring out side shop.
very limited time got to getter done!
thanks again .

do not plastic a fresh paint job unless you want to redo it. you will get solvent pop.
Posted By: TJP

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/08/19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by chrisf

do not plastic a fresh paint job unless you want to redo it. you will get solvent pop.

Along with a variety of other potential consequences. There are some things that cannot be rushed and paint is one of them twocents

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/09/19 02:48 PM

Update , so paint on car was dry to touch and had been drying at 80 deg for 11 hrs.
Put paint mask plastic not regular plastic on car , sprayed out hood and fenders , .
Waited for over spray to get vacumed out by my home made box fan exhaust and renoved plastic.
No issues and car can stay inside and cure .
Going to wait 36 hrs and cut and buff paint recommended by my paint supply store.
Thanks .
Posted By: Neil

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/09/19 07:19 PM

Years a go a paint store counter guy told me to have it baked in a booth, or set outside on warn days as long as possible.

Cold weather paint jobs tend to be more prone to stone chips was what one of the painters on here posted once.
Posted By: roadlion

Re: paint question for neubie - 12/12/19 06:00 AM

Question is will it rain? That was my biggest mistake. I thought the paint is already dry. Dried it for 2 days but there was a part where it's not yet 100% dry so it rained just a little and damaged the paint. But my suggestion would be 2 days.
© 2024 Moparts Forums