Moparts

Condensor Blues

Posted By: mickm

Condensor Blues - 11/18/19 12:20 AM

I want to go back to a points distributor. I have a friend who has a stock T/A, and has had 3 condensers go bad on him in one year, and obviously there aren't a ton of miles put on the car. Couple of dangerous situations, driving on a somewhat crowded highway, and then all of a sudden almost no power.

I know he used top of the line stuff, he wasn't buying Kragen condensers.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Not a big deal to carry spares and change one out, especially on a big block. But to have it happen and you barely have enough power to not get yourself hit while trying to get off a highway, not a good scene!
Posted By: Ramtough

Re: Condensor Blues - 11/18/19 12:45 AM

I'm not aware of any issues but most around me running electronic or some aftermarket system. As for your worry, last year on my way home from a show, pulled out to pass slow driver, got right beside him and big backfire and engine dies, heart failure right there. manged to get back in behind him then off road. Turned out my electronic box died. S**t happens, if your that worried about going back to points system because your buddy had 3 condensers die on him, the same can happen with what ever your running now.
Was he able to compare batch numbers, maybe the company had a whole batch that were faulty. I remember in the early 80's having an issue with one spark plug line, 8 faulty, short lived sets in a row, turned out to be a bad batch slipped through, got same plugs from a different batch and no problem, again, S**t happens
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Condensor Blues - 11/18/19 01:06 AM

Just put a new condensor in my 51, Standard ignition part AL111 . haven't had an issue yet, country of origin might play into this.
Posted By: mickm

Re: Condensor Blues - 11/18/19 01:21 AM

I don't think he did anything like compare batch numbers.

Maybe it was just a streak of bad luck.

I dp plan to go ahead with it, just wanted to see if anyone has seen the same thing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums