Moparts

Sealants

Posted By: johnfin

Sealants - 11/17/19 08:42 PM

What type of sealants do you guys use on paper gaskets nowadays. I use to use these products back in the day. Seems like they are old school now

Attached picture 80011CF.jpg
Attached picture 20191117_131817.jpg
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Sealants - 11/17/19 10:12 PM

I don't really use any sealer on paper gaskets only around the seams or manifold edges. I use Superformance gaskets and make sure the surfaces are clean,dry,and flat then assemble with quality fasteners. When I need sealer I use Toyota black FPIG sealer for just about every thing oil or coolant related. On metal gaskets I use copper hytac spray or the brush-on stuff like you posted. I use liquid Teflon sealer on threaded applications because they come apart cleanly and there is very little mess with good leak-free results.
Gus beer
Posted By: TJP

Re: Sealants - 11/17/19 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by johnfin
What type of sealants do you guys use on paper gaskets nowadays. I use to use these products back in the day. Seems like they are old school now

A whiff of the old permatex takes me back about 50 years, A real time tunnel smile

Currently I use / like the Permatex Ultra black beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Sealants - 11/17/19 10:21 PM

Only thing I use the "brown death" on is core plugs. RTV for everything else.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Sealants - 11/17/19 10:39 PM

Haven`t used that brown #2 stuff in years. I never really liked using it even back then. Mostly RTV for me nowadays. As said mostly dry gaskets unless I feel some sealer is necessary.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Sealants - 11/18/19 08:05 PM

Be careful with RTV... its the most mis-used and over-used chemical in all automotive applications. RTV should only be used as a filler of gap... example: intersecting corners (oil pan, intake); ok to use in place of front/rear intake rail gaskets, but again... be careful.. not too much.

NEVER apply RTV onto rubber gaskets... it then acts as a lubricant to allow the gasket to slip and move out-of-position upon getting squeezed under compression.

Also, for any bolts that enter into water ports, use a non-hardening thread sealer.

Best bet, read the gasket mfgr's instructions... I wrote the Fel-Pro FIT forms for gasket installations.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Sealants - 11/19/19 01:31 AM

I use Gasket Cinch only on paper gaskets as well as on many other gasket that I need a adhesive on to hold it in place, follow the directions for success thumbs scope
Posted By: second 70

Re: Sealants - 11/19/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I use Gasket Cinch only on paper gaskets as well as on many other gasket that I need a adhesive on to hold it in place, follow the directions for success thumbs scope

This
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Sealants - 11/19/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by second 70

This

X2 for coating paper gaskets.

For anything else and on intake manifold I use Hylomar Blue.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Sealants - 11/19/19 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunner
Originally Posted by second 70

This

X2 for coating paper gaskets.

For anything else and on intake manifold I use Hylomar Blue.

up I have a bunch of tubes of Permatex products and select the right one for each job. I've used the non-hardening goop on paper and never had an issue. They come off easier. I avoid RTV - it adheres too strongly and I waste time scraping it off for a clean face. Cheers, - Art
Posted By: Neil

Re: Sealants - 11/19/19 09:51 PM

Form-A-Gasket hardening type is a must for freeze plugs. Old or not that stuff works.

I don't own any RTV that you find at the parts stores. When I need it I use GE window silicone from the Home Depot.

I have had good luck spending the time to find the sealants that are application specific - gear lube, antifreeze, etc.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Sealants - 11/19/19 11:37 PM

With very few exceptions I do not use sealants that are not called out as being the proper item for that joint.

I don't use sealant where a paper gasket goes. If I need to hold it in place I use thread.

I will use teflon tape on some bolts, such as the timing cover bolts on an LA. Because even though the factory didn't call that out anyone that has had one rust seize and break knows why.

I almost never use RTV, ever.
© 2024 Moparts Forums