Moparts

BB HV oil pump oil

Posted By: johnfin

BB HV oil pump oil - 11/17/19 04:05 PM

I found a HV oil pump in my garage and was thinking of using it my stock 440 rebuild. Non race engine. Is this a bad idea?
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/17/19 04:09 PM

Stock clearances? Stock RPM? Use a stock pump.
In this application, a HV pump will just waste power and heat the oil more by circulating the excess back through the relief valve. twocents
Posted By: Stanton

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/17/19 05:15 PM

What he said !!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/17/19 07:12 PM

I use them on all of my engine builds regardless of the application shruggy
Oil supply is like money, HP, traction, sex,common sense, fun and a lot of other things a man can never have to much of whistling AKA I like them up
Posted By: Twostick

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/17/19 10:12 PM

Depends on how "rebuilt" you plan to go whether it's necessary or not.

Proper machine shop build with all clearances checked and corrected to stock non race specs, not necessary.

Old school loose race clearances or just a backyard hone, re-ring with new rod and main bearings on a 100,000 mile core, probably not a bad idea.

Will it hurt anything? Not likely.

Make sure you disassemble it completely and clean it. Countless examples of machining debris left in them from manufacture causing the rotors to jam and shear off the pump drive, making engine go boom.

Kevin
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/17/19 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Oil supply is like money, HP, traction, sex,common sense, fun and a lot of other things a man can never have to much of

Nice cliché but...............
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/17/19 10:50 PM

Speaking of oil pumps!! work

Attached picture Picture 1028.JPG
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/18/19 01:37 AM

It'll peg the dash needle but we've had two decades of use without issue on a mild 440. No clue the tolerances.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/18/19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by DrCharles
Stock clearances? Stock RPM? Use a stock pump.
In this application, a HV pump will just waste power and heat the oil more by circulating the excess back through the relief valve. twocents

Pressure and volume are different things. You can have a high volume pump with a 40 psi spring in the relief valve.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: BB HV oil pump oil - 11/18/19 02:30 AM

Pressure and volume are different things.

You don't say. eyes

More importantly, if the engine clearances don't need enough oil to pass the full pump volume at 40 psi (or whatever the relief spring pressure is), the rest will circulate through the relief valve, as I pointed out to begin with! The gerotor pump is a positive-displacement design. Every revolution, the oil has to go somewhere. If it's not going through the bearings, lifters, etc. then it is just wasted volume.
© 2024 Moparts Forums