Moparts

Car paint finishes/sealers/???

Posted By: calmopar

Car paint finishes/sealers/??? - 11/14/19 05:46 PM

I've seen new car dealers upsell something called "Lustreglow" or lustreshine or ??? that they (for $1,800) say will give you an amazing shiny finish that lasts a long time. My friend's dad got in for his Bronco 20 years ago and I laughed him out of the room.

Fast-forward - I bought a used car (2011) last year and the thing is strange - in a good way. Just hosing the thing off with water and the paint looks amazing. I don't use soap anymore and don't even touch it - just hit it with the hose and it's great.

So what on earth is this? Did the original owner get some aftermarket finish? Does something like this exist and really work? If so, I want it for my next car.
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: Car paint finishes/sealers/??? - 11/14/19 07:14 PM

It probably has some form of ceramic paint coating. They've become very popular recently.
Posted By: Michael

Re: Car paint finishes/sealers/??? - 11/14/19 08:35 PM

Yep, ceramic
Posted By: moparx

Re: Car paint finishes/sealers/??? - 11/16/19 01:26 PM

is there a do it yourself version of this ?
beer
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Car paint finishes/sealers/??? - 11/16/19 01:38 PM

There are thousands of different "ceramic" coatings out there that I am not savvy with.

One easy top coating I've grown to like is Meguiers "Ultimate Fast Finish", it really does keep the car cleaner and I feel it provides a bit more protection for my clear coat. I believe the Meguiers Hybrid Ceramic wax is very similar, but I haven't used it.

This guy has great beginner auto detailing videos

YouTube - Meguiers Ultimate Fast Finish

It beads up nicely even after a dozen or so washes and is extremely quick and easy to apply.

Attached picture 60977107_2478524768858233_149192853032009728_o.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Car paint finishes/sealers/??? - 11/16/19 02:08 PM

another question on "good" waxes and sealers goody.
anything you [or others] would recommend for [late 60's-71m.y.] acrylic enamel finishers ?
my charger has the paint on it that was applied in mid to early fall of 71, and although chipped and scuffed in several places, i am not going to repaint it. therefor, i would like something i can apply after i clay bar it and polish it the best i can, that would protect it the best that it could be protected. [if possible]
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums