Moparts

440 thermostat housing won't seal ?

Posted By: kidmopar

440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 01:59 PM

I'm having an unbelievably tough time getting my 1970 440 thermostat housing to seal I've installed 2 different aluminum housings (one brand new repop from Frank Badalsen) a different pump housing using several different sealers (high-tac , rtv , silicone) I'm almost ready to try "J B Weld" or just arc weld it After 30+ years of working on these cars , I'm stumped! ANY help from our great Mopar forum will be much appreciated THANK YOU!
Posted By: moparcanuk

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:04 PM

I'm having the same problem on my 69 GTX. Even tried an original off a 69 block and still have leaks.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:08 PM

One or both of your parts are possibly not flat ?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:09 PM

I have a new mopar cast iron outlet if you need one. Mike

Attached picture 5110374-outlet.jpg

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:10 PM

Quote:

I have a new mopar cast iron outlet if you need one. Mike

yes and ???

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:13 PM

Quote:

yes and ???

Maybe it will work better than the aluminum one. Is that ok with you? Just checking.

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

yes and ???

Maybe it will work better than the aluminum one. Is that ok with you? Just checking.

oops , I miised the IF YOU NEED one , that's I assumed this was ... a for sale post ...

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:15 PM

Quote:

oops , I miised the IF YOU NEED one , that's I assumed this was ... a for sale post ...

So far what help have you offered?

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So far what help have you offered?

Quote:

One or both of your parts are possibly not flat ?

You obviously MISSED that while PIMPING your part which is not correct for the year car at least one of the posters has ...

I find these parts not FLAT , even a knew one , I run all of them over a piece of fine emory cloth on a surface plate in a figure 8 pattern till i get a clean gasket surface , never a problem sealing one unless its CHROME .

next

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:21 PM

John it is a shame I had to force you into helping out. I know it is easier for you just to throw out the smart a.. comments.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 02:45 PM

I had the same problem. I started with the MP chrome neck - mistake. It warps very eaisly. I got a steel water neck, sanded it flat on a belt sander and installed with the hardening type permatex as insurance. Problem solved.

The iron, heavy aluminum and steel water necks seem to work fine if all parts are flat. One key: don't overtorque. It can warp the flange and cause a leak.
Posted By: manymopars

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 03:01 PM

I have a 67 coronet R/T convert that has the same problem.I tried different factory housings and steel replacements and it still leaks.I checked all surfaces with a straight edge,tried different gasketing material still leaked.What I was thinking of doing was having one of my aluminum necks machined to accept a rubber o ring sealed thermostat like most of the newer cars use.
Posted By: Robbins

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 03:34 PM

I'm still having problems with my Valiant. RT66Jim (member here) asked if maybe I'm having a problem with the radiator cap.

My problem is just sitting there it will seal. For 2 weeks with the cap on. I'll fire it up for the first time after putting in the thermostat housing back on and let it fun...no leak. Come out the next day and it's leaking. Once it starts leaking nothing that I do will stop it unless I take it back off. Take it off put another gasket, maybe another thermostat housing and it will do it again.

Well, after Jim said something about the radiator cap....after the first run of the motor getting up to operating temp....I'll let the motor cool down crack the cap and it hasn't leaked since.

There is still a problem.....for me. I shouldn't have to do that. But it's building too much pressure after I run for awhile and the cap isn't able to get rid of it I guess.

Anyways I'm saying this for maybe food for thought.........

Good luck, let us know some of the things that your try please?
Posted By: DZJim

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 05:20 PM

Just my $0.02:

Flat. Smooth. Clean. Has to be these.

Flat...the opposing surfaces are in contact at every point (or reasonably so). Excludes: warped, curvy, wavy, distorted by excessive torquing of fasteners, etc. Cast iron resists all of these better than aluminum or steel plate. Check in many directions with a true straight edge and 0.001" "feeler" gauge. Or against a surface plate. Or using machinists layout blue. Or even maybe using an extremely thin film of light oil.

Smooth...no nicks, scratches, gouges, pitting, etc. that connect the coolant with outside. The pressure of the hot coolant is constant when the engine is running. Even a tiny channel will eventually give the coolant a way to get through. Gaskets, sealers, etc can only do so much if the parts don't fit or aren't smooth and clean. Yes; epoxy it on and it probably won't leak, although if they are mismatched, even epoxy might give up after a while. Things that don't fit will vibrate at different frequencies and in different modes when clamped together.

Clean. If its smooth it should be clean.

oops forgot one: if its cracked somewhere, it may not be leaking at the joint. tiny crack can seep and be real hard to find...

Sorry for the long...hope it helps...good luck, I know it can be frustrating.
Posted By: Junky

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/22/09 07:23 PM

I too had that problem. I don't have any fancy tools, so I purchased some thin cork gasket material from NAPA. Made a thermostat housing gasket. Put a little Permatex on it. Never a leak since.
Posted By: Day2Runner

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/03/21 11:33 PM

Can a cast iron housing be mild
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/03/21 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ahy
I had the same problem. I started with the MP chrome neck - mistake. It warps very eaisly. I got a steel water neck, sanded it flat on a belt sander and installed with the hardening type permatex as insurance. Problem solved.

The iron, heavy aluminum and steel water necks seem to work fine if all parts are flat. One key: don't overtorque. It can warp the flange and cause a leak.
iagree up
Make sure both housings are flat first and then if not make them flat before any thing else scope wrench twocents
There always reasons they leak, finding and fixing them is the hard part scope
Posted By: TJP

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/04/21 01:22 AM

Just an FYI: we have had issues with the one sided self stick gaskets that a lot of parts stores are selling. They start leaking after install. Another source is to make sure the hose surface on the housing and ID are both clean. I have had more than one hose leak make me think it was the gasket. Lastly a good idea to retighten the clamps (worm gear) every so often until they take a "set" . beer
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/04/21 02:11 AM

Like many I have tried all the tricks trying to get a stock housing (both used and new) to seal including having a machine shop check and mill both surfaces.

Some attempts lasted longer than others but they all eventually leaked.

Thankfully the car is not a stock type vehicle so I spend a little extra $$ and bought this billet aluminum O ringed housing and have never had a leak issue since (4 years now)

I've had the housing off a few times and it has been leak free every time even with the same O ring and never use any sealant.

Somebody should make a stock looking T stat housing with an O ring. twocents

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsp-90820
Posted By: ek3

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/04/21 04:22 AM

must be flat. clean with brake parts cleaner . apply this --> https://www.permatex.com/products/g...kers/permatex-optimum-grey-gasket-maker/ lightly tighten the bolts when still wet , wait 30 minutes to tighten it down. you could probably lift the engine without the bolts in it.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/04/21 12:28 PM

I was assembling the aluminum intake on my 340 this Winter and found that my cast thermostat housing leaked just after I put in the coolant and let it set overnight. So I took a file and cleaned up the bottom side of the cast housing, then reapplied a new Felpro gasket with the Permatex (waterpump/light blue) sealant. It leaked again after sitting overnight. So I took it off again and used another new Felpro gasket but this time I used the Right Stuff sealant on the mounting surface and the blue sealant on the bolt threads, and it has not leaked a drop.

Note: When I had the intake off for cleaning/paint, I lightly filed the thermostat mounting surface and found it to be fairly flat.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/04/21 02:49 PM

In all my years, I don't think I have EVER had a t stat housing that did not have a leak, no matter HOW much I cleaned and made sure things were flat, etc. . . . . went with this :

http://www.terrysautolab.com/

Have not had a single leak with this !! . . .Yay O ring seals !! . . . I am not too worried about "non stock" look, so for me this was THE SOLUTION !! . . .well worth the $$$

Good luck . . .
Posted By: second 70

Re: 440 thermostat housing won't seal ? - 03/04/21 05:14 PM

grey permatex
© 2024 Moparts Forums