Moparts

62 B-body coil spring trans mount...

Posted By: thehemikid

62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 04:58 AM

The other trans mount thread finally reminded me to ask this question. I've had this Dart 330 since 92,
and thought it was a little odd when I first saw it then, but hadn't made it a point to research it or look under other 62's to check.
Though I have other 62's, they have the usual trans mounts.

Question. Was there an early coil spring trany mount in 62? This thing has always looked factory to me.
It's not pilot car early VIN #,... but it's in the low 500's.

Edit: Dang pic is upside down,... try'n fix.
Edit II: flipped the pic & loaded and still upside down. So be it,... I'm done. Lol.

Attached picture IMG_3951 - Copy.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 07:13 AM

That looks like it was made, but not from the factory down twocents
Posted By: twodoorpost

Re: 62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 01:54 PM

That was the type that was on my 1962 Plymouth when I bought it. The car was 5 years old at the time and was a July build.

Attached picture 1962 early B body.jpg
Posted By: jcc

Re: 62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 02:21 PM

Never seen that before.

I wonder what was the intended purpose was vs rubber?

Not knowing the actual design, a coil only resists motion effectively one direction, seems odd to me.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 03:48 PM

Same setup as on my 64 300. there is an upper mount that bolts to the trans and seats the top of the coil spring. the bottom of the coil spring seatds on that mount and there is a thru bolt that slides thru the lower bracket and screws into the trans mount thru the center of the coil spring.

On my 64 the auto trans bracket was not the same as the manual trans bracket.

Attached picture IMG_3951---Copy.JPG
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 04:41 PM

'62 B-bodies used both the spring mount and the traditional one-piece insulator. Spring mount was usually used with the 318 and the one-piece with the Wedge and the /6.

Attached picture 62 A Eng.PNG
Attached picture 62 B Eng.PNG
Posted By: therocks

Re: 62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 04:53 PM

Looks like the one that was in my kids 62 300.Was a strange setup.Steve at Imperial Services sent him all the pieces free.Then when he change to modern TF he IIRC used the same setup.Rocky
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: 62 B-body coil spring trans mount... - 10/18/19 07:52 PM

Thanks Sniper for the flip.

Thanks guys and John for the print, thought it looked factory. Looks like mine may've been a 318 car.
It had a 440, with STR intake w/ 6bbl lid and carbs when I traded a tube chassis s/b Duster for it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums