Moparts

What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have?

Posted By: Mag162

What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 02:39 PM

Having a tranny built and the guy is asking me what crank is in the motor?
Something about weights and the flywheel and blah blah blah.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mag162
shruggy
Do you know how to tell the differences between a cast crankshaft and a forged steel crankshaft? How about knowing the differences between a automatic crankshaft versus a stic=k shift crankshaft?
if not time to learn, huh work scope
Is the motor in a car with a tranny attached? What tranny is in your car?
Do you know if the motor is a stock unmolested original survivor or has it been rebuilt or over hauled/
What type of body style is the car, A,B or C body?
Posted By: CSK

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 05:08 PM

In 69 if original it would be a forged crank internal balance, BUT there are later model 440's that have a forged crank that are EXTERNAL balance, so as CAB said what do you have now, does the harmonic Balancer have a counter weight ?
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 05:39 PM

did you take a flywheel or torque converter off the engine?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mag162

After 50 years it could have most anything in there. You'll just have to look to see.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 05:47 PM

check the harmonic dampener

Casted... thick dampeners... requires external balance at flywheel
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Forged... thin dampener... no need for balanced flywheel
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 06:50 PM

Even worse, who knows if any of the current rotating parts are correct for each other.
Lots of ways to mess this up. When I bought my "70" Barracuda it had a "70" external balance flywheel.
P.O. probably thought "70" body, "70" flywheel, what could go wrong? Plenty. It also had a "67" engine
and the correct for that engine internal balance damper.

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 07:10 PM

Exactly, after 50 years it could be anything. Checking the flywheel or damper is pointless unless the guy knows 100% that it is a factory original engine that is untouched. It is very common for people to bolt together a pile of parts and sell it as "numbers matching". I've seen some auction cars that were sold as numbers cars but the engine is a collection of random stuff. 440 six pack top end on a motor home bottom end and stuff like that.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/15/19 10:58 PM

In 69 if original it would be a forged crank internal balance,
& also as said did you pull the TC and or dampener (either would tell you). Otherwise does the motor look original/untouched? Use your best guess or pull the pan to ID the crank parting lines EDIT & someone did mention that a forged crank (later on) could be external
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/16/19 08:08 AM

Yes, after years any engine can be changed inside BUT, with the wrong dampener will vibrate, so would be imposible to drive it decently. If engine is on car and was being used I GUESS it wasn't getting vibrations while riding... right? So the dampener must be the correct one

Re: What crank does my 69 440 HP motor have? - 10/16/19 03:04 PM

He didn't say the car was running. Given the information the OP provided, the answer is "it could be anything". The OP needs to figure it out. Nobody on the internet can answer his question given the information provided.
© 2024 Moparts Forums