Moparts

"Special Handling Car" ??

Posted By: Anonymous

"Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 09:15 PM

I've got a 1970 Challenger that is not a RT and the build sheet says "special handling car" typed on the lower part of the form. It also says "Chall Carry" written in red grease pencil. Anyone see this before and can tell us what this means?
Posted By: amxautox

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 09:18 PM

That question was on here a couple weeks ago. Someone said it was for special handling of the assembling of the car. Like a ceo wanted it or factory type head honcho, or a fleet vehical. It doesn't mean the car has a special suspension. More like 'shipping and handling' type handling.

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 09:22 PM

Well thay majkes sense since the car is loaded to the max and it also says "Carry" all over the build sheet. I wonder who the exec was?
Posted By: newportrider

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 09:23 PM

Would that be" make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight" kind of option.LOL
Larry
Posted By: amxautox

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 09:30 PM

THAT could be a good idea too.
Posted By: MoreParts

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 10:16 PM

It should probably have a fender tag to with just "Special Handling Car" on there as well. I pulled a few of those tags from the junk yard that were on wrecked ex-police vehicles.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 11:17 PM

Anything that wasn't NORMAL in the options groups was a special handling car. That covered color combos that were not considered normal or a slanty B body car with an 8 3/4 or buckets in a wagon etc.

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 11:24 PM

Quote:

It should probably have a fender tag to with just "Special Handling Car" on there as well. I pulled a few of those tags from the junk yard that were on wrecked ex-police vehicles.

Fender tags are MIA. It sure would be cool to know the specific odity that made this car a "special handling car"!
Posted By: stateline

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/09/05 11:55 PM

Does the inner fender have tag screw holes for more than one fender tag ??

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 12:33 AM

It's hard to say because it has A/C hoses and Cruise control mounting holes and a White tag with green letters telling about the smog stuff all mounted in the same small area.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 02:43 AM

Does the Vehicle Order Number begin with a letter? Maybe a "Q"? Also, what are the Y codes?

Barry

Posted By: JRepucci

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 02:44 AM

On the build sheet ...What does the order/sequence number start with? Is the car a 71?

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 02:47 AM

Barry , I have a question for you.... my sequence/order number starts with an R.... do you know what that means?

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 02:48 AM

Quote:

Does the Vehicle Order Number begin with a letter? Maybe a "Q"? Also, what are the Y codes?

Barry

The build sheet is a little mouse bitten so it is hard to read in places. The Vehicle order number begins with "C07". What are "Y" codes??

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 02:53 AM

top right ...sales codes Y05,Y39,Y14...etc.

C...Canadian? on the order number....is it a 70'

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 03:07 AM

Quote:

top right ...sales codes Y05,Y39,Y14...etc.

C...Canadian? on the order number....is it a 70'

That part of the build sheet is missing.

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 05:50 AM

Quote:

Barry , I have a question for you.... my sequence/order number starts with an R.... do you know what that means?

"R" VON prefixs are normally Y22 or Y28 cars. Do you have the Y codes for it? Is it a '71 model?

Barry

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 05:55 AM

The date is right ahead of the VON (technically the date is part of the VON) so depending on where the C07 is on the sheet it may be the SPD?

C07 = December 7, 1969 for a 1970 model car.

Are the last six digits of the VIN in the 212xxx range?

(edit - typo, meant 212xxx not 202xxx)

Barry
Posted By: beepbeep

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 06:14 AM

I doubt a standard VON would be on the BS, more likely a 00-09 or Alpha VON is more likely.

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 06:35 AM

Hey beepbeep,
Just curious, I know you look at this stuff.

Have you seen any 1970 Hamtramck VONs in the 000xxx to 09xxxx range with any Y codes other than Y05, Y14 or Y16 or combinations of the three yet? I have 611 VONs on file in that range for 1970 Hamtramck cars so far, but they are all either Y05, or Y05 with Y14, or Y05 with Y16, or Y05 with both Y14 & Y16. Have you seen anything different yet?

Again, just curious.

T/Ake care,
Barry

PS - If anyone knows what a "W" VON prefix means, please let me know? I have a 1970 Valiant from Hamtramck and a 1970 Challenger from LA on file with "W" VON prefixs, but I have no clue what it may mean.
Posted By: beepbeep

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 07:35 AM

Barry

The first 2 digits of the VON mean something. Sometimes
(like in the case of Superbirds or 440 Darts etc., it's the first 3 digits.

If the car was an internal-order or internal-handling, it usually got a "00" VON prefix. Keep in mind that could mean employee purchase. If it wasn't a show car but had someone's blessing inside Ann Arbor, its VON begins 00.

VON's also do not get doubled up, A sunroof car with ties to Corporate will have a 00 VON, not an M.

01-09 are the zone the car was destined for, either because the sales bank existed there or because that's where the allocation went, thus the common Y codes. 01 is Maine and 09 is Hawaii. Now you know where Mr. Norm was or did some horse trading when some of his T/A's were ordered. Add to that the third digit, which breaks the zone location down further.

Everything else, from 1xxxxx to 5xxxxx began life on a dealership order blank. The order blanks are sequentially numbered, the pads were distributed broadly without care for zone or anything else. While you can trace say VON 172553 to Mr. Norm's, 171553 might have come from Hertz rent a car in Phoenix.

Then you have the letters and numbers, again meaning something, in fact they actually relate directly to Reynolds and Reynolds accounting codes that are still used today.

Here is a tag to add to your collection if you don't have it already.

Attached picture 1557259-purple vert ft.jpg

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/10/05 02:37 PM

Quote:

The date is right ahead of the VON (technically the date is part of the VON) so depending on where the C07 is on the sheet it may be the SPD?

C07 = December 7, 1969 for a 1970 model car.

Are the last six digits of the VIN in the 212xxx range?

(edit - typo, meant 212xxx not 202xxx)

Barry

The build sheet says "sequence number" of 2 000392 and then the VON of C07001764. I'll post the VIN later today.

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/11/05 04:05 AM

Thanks beepbeep,
It may take a while for all of that to sink in.

Mr. Norms cars have 4 different VON prefixs that I can think of off the top of my head, but he did sell over 400 T/As and inter-dealer trades were common.

I do have that tag recorded, thanks.

Do you have a zone map by chance?

T/Ake care,
Barry

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/11/05 04:11 AM

Quote:

The build sheet says "sequence number" of 2 000392 and then the VON of C07001764. I'll post the VIN later today.

Hey TenHemi,
Then the car is from assembly line two, Sheduled Production Date of December 7, 1969 ( 1970 model year) and 001764 is the rest of the VON and is specific to your car.

T/Ake care,
Barry
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: "Special Handling Car" ?? - 03/12/05 02:23 AM

Quote:

I've got a 1970 Challenger that is not a RT and the build sheet says "special handling car" typed on the lower part of the form. It also says "Chall Carry" written in red grease pencil. Anyone see this before and can tell us what this means?

My brother's 70 R/T Challenger also has "special handling car" typed on the bottom of the build sheet. The only unusual thing about his car is the gator-grain roof (V1G). Other than that it is very ordinary. I'll have to look again to be sure but IIRC it is a sales bank car also.

No "special handling" fender tag is/was present. (No screw holes for second tag).

© 2024 Moparts Forums