Moparts

Best way to press out leaf spring bushing?

Posted By: vinnyd76

Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/11/19 01:15 PM

Any recommendations on what to use to press out the 1.5" bushing in the rear leaf springs? The shop has a press, but they are struggling to find a press detail to press the bushing out.
Posted By: skicker

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/11/19 01:18 PM

If it is an original bushing in an old spring you may have to cut the center out with a torch and then split the sleeve out with a chisel... twocents
Posted By: vinnyd76

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/11/19 01:26 PM

Yes, the Rear Leaf Springs are original. They are a set of A-Body 383/440 leaf springs.

The shop removed the bushing from a set of 70 B-Body 440 springs not that long ago, but they are struggling to remember what they used.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/11/19 03:01 PM

I just used a press and large socket on mine came right out.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/11/19 03:28 PM

Years ago when I did my AAR springs, I just used a piece of exhaust tubing. Piece of cake.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/12/19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by second 70
I just used a press and large socket on mine came right out.

This how I did mine as well.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/12/19 06:07 PM

Use your welder to weld inside of the bushing, go round and round 2 or three times and the bushing will shrink and fall out.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/12/19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by MO_PA
Use your welder to weld inside of the bushing, go round and round 2 or three times and the bushing will shrink and fall out.

eek up Cool idea smile
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/13/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by MO_PA

This works great, also works on lower control arm bushings if you like to get your stuff apart without beating the parts up.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Best way to press out leaf spring bushing? - 10/14/19 11:39 AM

If a shop has an issue removing a simple bushing... what are they doing the rest of the day?
© 2024 Moparts Forums