Moparts

Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier

Posted By: GregY

Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/11/19 01:23 AM

Hi All,

I am trying to pull the pinion carrier off of my 8 3/4 rear end. I got all of the bolt loose with no problems, and got the carrier slid forward to the end of the bolts (so there is a quarter inch gap between it and the back of the axle housing), but it will not come off. I can wiggle it up and down some, but there is absolutely no side to side movement and it will not pull or pry off. I am out of ideas after struggling with it for an hour or so.

Am I missing something? Can somebody give me some advice on this?

Thanks.

Greg
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/11/19 01:25 AM

Did you remove the axles?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/11/19 01:35 AM

whistle
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/11/19 01:36 AM

Not much else in there to keep it from coming out other than the axle shafts..

Re: Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/11/19 01:40 AM

Boy I am dumb sometimes.

Somehow I skipped right to Step 2.

Thank you.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/11/19 05:25 AM

that is one lesson you will never forget, huh work up

Re: Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/14/19 02:44 PM

Yep, I confirmed first hand that the carrier does in fact come out much easier with the axles out. I only wish they had made it a little heavier.

Everything looked good with the internals, and it's back in again, I just need to get the axles back in and some fresh gear oil and I should be good to go (pray for no leaks!).

Thanks for all of the help. Sometimes I tend to jump into stuff without doing the necessary up front research.

Greg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Removing 8 3/4 pinion carrier - 10/14/19 07:21 PM

If it's a clutch-type Sure-Grip, make sure the thrust buttons are intact before installing the third member...they're known to fall out when the axles are removed and disappear in the oil.
© 2024 Moparts Forums