Moparts

I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner"

Posted By: larrymopar360

I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 12:41 AM

I like the look of the Mopar Unsilenced Air Cleaner from the 60's, but I've never understood the "unsilenced". To me, it appears the top comes all the over the sides and fits fully against the bottom plate, leaving nothing open to the element. I know I must be missing something, because there's not even a snorkel to allow air to come in, and certainly nothing unsilenced with my perception of the way it fits.

Am I just being dense? Wouldn't be the first time.

Attached picture AirCleaner.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 12:59 AM

I dont have an answer for you but that is a good question
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
there's not even a snorkel to allow air to come in

You answered your own question. up
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 01:22 AM

Take a closer look at the base. The filter element sits in the flat area at the perimeter. The top is bigger leaving a gap around the bottom for air flow.
Posted By: lilcuda

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Take a closer look at the base. The filter element sits in the flat area at the perimeter. The top is bigger leaving a gap around the bottom for air flow.

This. ^^^
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by lilcuda
Originally Posted by GomangoCuda

This. ^^^

This x2 ^^^^^

However, when compared to aftermarket open element filters, the Mopar unit pictured is considerably quieter.
Posted By: TJP

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 02:50 PM

To clarify, As stated above, their are two differences,

A "normal" air cleaner's lid is sealed to the base forcing the required air to enter through the snorkel which acts as a muffler.

Make sense now ? beer
Posted By: 1970A13

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 09/30/19 11:00 PM

bought that kit in the 90s,just paint the base black and no one will ever know it's not original to the car.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/01/19 12:40 AM

I’d be happy to buy one for 1990’s prices up

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/01/19 08:03 PM

Ok, I guess if it (the base) seals against the element and not the lid sides, then some extra air comes in the bottom, versus just a snorkel.

Anyone running one of these, can you advise if it's as open sounding as a flipped lid? I kind of want one for my stroked 360 (408) but prefer a stock Mopar air cleaner, although this would not be stock to the car.

Thanks.
Posted By: kowalski440

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/01/19 08:46 PM

I might have one available!
Originally Posted by BloFish
Posted By: kowalski440

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/01/19 08:51 PM

It's definately louder, but not a full throated roar. Maybe if I tested it with a TQ? smile

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/01/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by kowalski440
It's definately louder, but not a full throated roar. Maybe if I tested it with a TQ? smile
Ok, thanks. If you decide you're selling one I'd PM me
Posted By: BloFish

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/02/19 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by kowalski440
I might have one available!
Originally Posted by BloFish

Let me know...
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/02/19 04:36 PM

Yes the only air gap is between the outer air cleaner lid and the bottom base. That gap is about 3/4” and my 410 CI small block exceeded that gaps ability to flow enough air. The later 340 air cleaners had a snorkle and a trap door that would pop open.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/02/19 07:29 PM

it appears the top comes all the over the sides and fits fully against the bottom plate, leaving nothing open to the element.

Here's your issue.

The filter must be tall enough to allow air to enter under the cover.
Thus you will "hear" air being pulled in.

You can get the same affect by using too tall of a filter in a regular housing and it will be unsilenced at the top.
We did this a lot way back when.
Will flow all the air you need, as the can and filter are much larger.

I dig where your going with this.
Super kool on da truck.

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/02/19 09:32 PM

Yes, trying to be secretive about letting the extra air and and having the cool four barrel sound, and keep it Mopar. Also, lately I've been really liking the look of the unsilenced air cleaner more and more. Seeing them atop an old stock hp383 is a beautiful site.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/02/19 10:27 PM

trying to be secretive about letting the extra air and and having the cool four barrel sound,

I had an air filter housing that had a series of holes (about one inch) around the circumference of the bottom, out side the filter. Cant remember what it came off of, Maybe an early 70's big block?

The idea is sound so maybe drill 1" holes around the bottom of your air cleaner housing.
Wont be sucking cold air from there though.

Or like we did back in the fun young days just get a taller filter or stack them.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/03/19 01:25 AM

I was cheap. I always just flipped the lid upside down. Then I started cutting off the extra part of the lid that was outside the filter, of course soon after that I started cutting off the bottom of the housing outside of the filter. I didn't need no chrome lid or base!
That sure made the car more difficult to drive when the weather got cold, I ended up getting a full housing for the winter months then swapped the cut version in late spring through early fall. Gene
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/04/19 08:25 AM

I have experimented a bit with both styles and the road noise is dramatically louder at freeway speeds with an unsilenced unit vs. a dual snorkel.

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/04/19 10:55 PM

I have wondered about air from the bottom being much hotter than from on top or the snorkel but I can't have everything
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/05/19 06:56 AM

If you don't have a cold air system on your hood all air getting into the carb has to go through the radiator, correct work shruggy
The cold air bottoms on some of the OEM air grabber hoods had a front baffle on them to avoid tearing up the front of the air cleaner elements when the flaps where open for winter use from air blowing through the radiators scope
Posted By: kentj340

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/06/19 03:44 AM

Here's a YouTube video of 440 dyno tests, with/without unsilenced air cleaner.

Without: 380 hp at 5500 rpm.

With: 375 hp at 5500 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLdSsFfnDEg

Go to 26:58 - 30:33, about 3.5 minutes.

(Later in the video they get 400 hp by switching to Edelbrock aluminum intake manifold from original cast iron.)

Attached picture Untitled.jpg
Attached picture Untitled1.jpg
Attached picture Untitled2.jpg

Re: I don't understand "Unsilenced Air Cleaner" - 10/06/19 03:39 PM

Cool thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums