Moparts

I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!!

Posted By: R/T1968R/T

I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/28/19 10:39 PM

Well I tackled the motor and it was confirmed, acorns in the motor.I said it was in my previous post. https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...speed-dana-s-match-n96.html#Post2696527. I cleaned out the cylinders, sprayed PB blaster and the motor spins fine. Do you think its safe to fire up?

Attached picture IMG_3187.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3188.JPG
Posted By: CKessel

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/28/19 11:00 PM

Was it built by Squirrels?
Posted By: bee1971

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/28/19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by CKessel
Was it built by Squirrels?

Gopher Motors

Unless something got hammered in between a seat and valve or got bent when cranking it over previously

If it was a brand new rebuild I would say pull the heads , but that’s not the case so
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/29/19 12:00 AM

When I got the car I turned it by hand, nothing forced. Im going to oil everything up and give it a shot.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/29/19 12:32 AM

I think I'd tear that one down and go through it before I tried to run it. work
Posted By: Alchemi

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/29/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by bobby66

+1 iagree
Me too, a gasket kit is nothing and a clean up of any internal rust before it goes through the oiling system would make the engine last much longer if it is still good now, the rings would probably appreciate the reduction of acorn dust too grin
Posted By: TooMany62s

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/29/19 11:22 AM

Based on the rust in the intake ports I think it's likely the cylinder bores also have rust.
Posted By: TJP

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/29/19 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bobby66

iagree or x 3 or one my wind up with a pile of scrap iron. twocents
Posted By: topside

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/29/19 05:33 PM

No way would I run it, that'll just create more damage. Tear it apart & rebuild it if you want it to be right.
Posted By: wingman

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/30/19 02:26 AM

That's nuts! smile

Seriously, though I would open it up and clean it out. If there is debris in the intake runners you know at least some of the pistons had an open intake valve and it got down in there, too.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/30/19 02:45 AM

Pull it apart and have a real look inside. How can you possibly believe the cam is going to be OK after seeing all that crap under the intake? What do you think your going to gain by hearing it run? I suspect you will cause a lot more harm then any good that can come from starting it.

Of course, its yours, start it if you feel lucky and feel the need. Next week you can post pictures of the cylinder wall and crank damage. Gene
Posted By: burdar

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/30/19 02:26 PM

I just pulled the 400 out of an old project truck. I removed one exhaust manifold and found an exhaust port filled with Decon. Those little critters ran all the way up the exhaust, through the muffler and into the head.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: I was right, Motor filled with acorns!!! - 09/30/19 05:38 PM

Years ago Chipmunks totally filled the aircleaner on my wife's car with dog food. Needless to say her car was running like a dog when she asked me to look at it. Arf arf.
© 2024 Moparts Forums