Moparts

69 road runner drum brake problem

Posted By: 3wracing

69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/28/19 08:29 PM

My 69 road runner has developed a problem when you apply the drum brakes it pull to the left.I have changed the brake shoes same result. Now I have changed the wheel bearings and adjusted them evenly ,Drove the car it was ok for awhile. I have not turned the drums could they be glazed?The brake hoses are fairly new ? Any suggestions? thanks for any help
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/28/19 08:46 PM

I would look at the wheel cylinders on the right side. Sounds like the left is working and the right is not, most likely the front right. Did you have to adjust the one side more than the other?

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/28/19 08:50 PM

I just adjusted them new brakes I put them on and didn't pay attention. is thiier a way to check now?

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/28/19 09:05 PM

You can jack the car up and have someone press the brake pedal. See how much resistance on each wheel and if it is a lot different. It should be able to lock up each wheel. If you do not have any resistance, that wheel cylinder is bad. If they are all old, might be worth it to just replace them all. Also, how does the fluid look? Is it gold color, brown, black, or? Possibly if it is real dirty and old, could be clogged up. I think you said you changed all your soft lines? If not, possibly one is bulging when you apply brakes and are loosing pressure to that cylinder.

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/28/19 09:08 PM

Also, if you drove it a lot and the difference of braking continued to get worse over time, did you install the adjusters backwards? This won't allow the shoes to get equally close (side vs. side) to the drums, causing the correct one to contact the drum first, therefore causing it to pull to that side.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/28/19 09:10 PM

How old are the flexible hoses?

The internal liners can fail & act like a one way valve, pressure goes in & it does not release as one would normally expect.
Posted By: TJP

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/28/19 11:48 PM

Have you verified the ball joints, tie rods, bushings etc are good??? shruggy beer
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/29/19 01:28 AM

Just checking but did you install the long shoes in the back and the short on the front side?

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/29/19 12:38 PM

yep shoes installed correctly. the car was lazer lined up the tech said it was never in any crashes not tweaked in any way.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 09/29/19 01:53 PM

As said a pass side issue (it ain't doing any/enough braking force). front wheels off the ground tighten the adjusters till the wheel is locked solid then loosen till you hear a slight "tick" of contact in one point in the tires revolution as you spin the wheel forward by hand. do both LF/RF. If needed might need to do the rears also to get em all even but you wont be turning them forward by hand, idling in gear up on stands & need a helper to hit the brakes to stop it so you can spoon it some more then he releases & repeat till you hear the "tick".
Posted By: jcastle1

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 10/08/19 01:06 AM

check strut rods/bushings
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: 69 road runner drum brake problem - 10/08/19 01:49 AM

Make sure both rear wheels are working correctly. Many times on the old 4 wheel drum cars the pulling was from the rear not working correctly. Anything from grease leak , wheel cylinders, adjustments. Problems in the rear will cause a front imbalance and lead to one side.
© 2024 Moparts Forums