Moparts

1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question.

Posted By: SKR8PN

1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/24/19 11:08 PM

Anyone happen to know what other years/models interchange for the front turn signal/park lens on a 1971 Road Runner? The ones in the valance panel. Year one does not offer a reproduction for this year/model yet. At least not that I could find.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/24/19 11:23 PM

71-72 Plymouth 2-dr Satellite. 71 are clear and 72 are amber.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 12:03 AM

Not exactly, at least in '71 the base models had amber lenses with clear bulbs, while the high trim models had clear lenses with amber bulbs. I don't know about the '72s.
Posted By: mopargem

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Not exactly, at least in '71 the base models had amber lenses with clear bulbs, while the high trim models had clear lenses with amber bulbs. I don't know about the '72s.

confused
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 12:54 PM

Actually not, there was a change over during the 71 model year from clear lenses to amber lenses. All early build cars should have clear lenses and all late build cars should have amber.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Butterscotch71

Actually not, there was a change over during the 71 model year from clear lenses to amber lenses. All early build cars should have clear lenses and all late build cars should have amber.

IIRC the GTX is the only exception to this "rule" having clear lenses both early and late builds...correct?
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 01:33 PM

I don't know why you can't find any, repos came out back around 09. Unless they quit making them
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 71birdJ68
I don't know why you can't find any, repos came out back around 09. Unless they quit making them

The clear and amber 71-2 front lenses/gaskets are still available from sources like Classic Ind, and PG Classics, Mike Ross at BEAParts might still have some left in his inventory as well, I'm sure YO has them as well....

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 05:34 PM

Year one has them (PN ML71 clear) listed as "arriving soon". Also have ML72 amber ones listed as arriving soon. That's why I was asking what other models would fit. Car currently has amber lenses but customer isn't that picky and I would love to get this wiring wrapped up before the snow flies.
Posted By: Dante

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 07:58 PM

You can find them on my website.

Clear Parking Lens

Amber parking Lens

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 09:34 PM

Thanks Dante, passing info on to my customer!

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/25/19 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

IIRC the GTX is the only exception to this "rule" having clear lenses both early and late builds...correct?

Most of my restoration experience is with the GTX and all the '71 GTXs that I have had have come with the clear lenses. I certainly have seen and parted plenty of 71 RRs, most with amber but a few with clear. My notes do not indicate build dates, but they do indicate that the base model RRs make up the bulk of my notes and they were consistently with the amber lenses. I only have a few 71 RRs noted with the clear lenses and they were all highly optioned RRs. In particular, the Decor package RRs that I have notes on, all have the clear lenses. But since I only have a few, it is possible that they were coincidentally early builds.

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

Most of my restoration experience is with the GTX and all the '71 GTXs that I have had have come with the clear lenses. I certainly have seen and parted plenty of 71 RRs, most with amber but a few with clear. My notes do not indicate build dates, but they do indicate that the base model RRs make up the bulk of my notes and they were consistently with the amber lenses. I only have a few 71 RRs noted with the clear lenses and they were all highly optioned RRs. In particular, the Decor package RRs that I have notes on, all have the clear lenses. But since I only have a few, it is possible that they were coincidentally early builds.

My experience in looking at many survivor and unrestored 71 GTXs, road runners, and Satellites through the years, my own December built survivor low option road runner included, is that the clear early / amber late holds true for all models.

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 02:04 AM

Example: survivor, original owner GTX with May 71 build date

Attached picture 40684642_1363316363804598_6348970512651124736_n.jpg

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 02:05 AM

Another: 71 GTX survivor, original owner late April build date

Attached picture 040.JPG
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 02:08 AM

My GTX was built late June 71 - has the Amber lens. All original.

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 02:10 AM

My survivor 71 Road Runner, December build date, no décor package

Attached picture IMG_0246.JPG

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 12:57 PM

Learning a LOT from this thread! Thanks all for the info and pics.
This car is far from being a survivor. If anything, it has only succeeded in surviving the junk yard. No fender tag, no build sheets, the trans doesn't even match the engine, let alone the body! LOL! Front frame rails, torsion bar section and part of the floor pan is all from donor cars. I have completely gutted the wiring and am in the process of a complete updated wiring install for my customer. I will pass all this information on to the owner and let him decide which direction we go from here. Again, thanks very much for all your help.

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 01:04 PM

Lots of good examples that support the early/late version of events.
Posted By: cruzin

Re: 1971 Road Runner front turn/park lens question. - 09/26/19 04:43 PM

If anyone is interested in a very nice pair of amber lenses, I posted a set July09.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2672271/2.html
© 2024 Moparts Forums