Moparts

71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips

Posted By: MidPenMopar

71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/23/19 12:42 AM

I have a set on the road runner and up until yesterday all was good but then i noticed it seems the inner portion of the tip on both of them is rattling around and is pretty annoying. Does anyone else have a pair that started to do this?

Just wondering if i got a badly made set set of tips or that was just what they do after awhile?
Thank you
Stu

Attached picture tips new.JPG
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/23/19 09:36 PM

Do you know if they are the Authentic Mopar Restoration ones?
I

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/23/19 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ron_M
I

no i got these from Classic industries and they were the cheaper of the two sets advertised. The sales person said they were identical though.
Posted By: bee1971

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/24/19 12:19 AM

They should not separate like that or rattle

My reproduction tips that I purchased from year one probably 15 years ago or longer still look pretty damn good honestly

Other then the paint inside a little discolored
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/24/19 12:48 AM

These were available through 1974? Thought 1972, but I'm fuzzy on 1973-74 stuff.
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/24/19 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by MidPenMopar
I

no i got these from Classic industries and they were the cheaper of the two sets advertised. The sales person said they were identical though.
I
They should the "authenic" ones... I just got a set of the long type from CI during the Labor Day 30 off sale. Both tips had the inner paint crazed and one tip had a ding. I got them at 30 off and the cost to return just wasn't worth the effort. I realize the inner paint t gets carboned up and the ding wasn't noticeable unless you looked for it but that wasn't the point. The were poorly prepped by the manufacturer and poorly packaged

On the plus side, over on Amazon, you can a super deal on Bazookas made by Wesdon exhaust! I got shorty s for my Ram for $100 with free shipping! Well packaged too!

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/24/19 02:21 AM

On the plus side, over on Amazon, you can a super deal on Bazookas made by Wesdon exhaust! I got shorty s for my Ram for $100 with free shipping! Well packaged too!

Wow they have a lot of cool looking tips for sure! up
Posted By: chargervert

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/24/19 05:18 AM

I have those tips on my Ram,and they rattled too. I put a couple tack welds on the underside of the tips where the edge rolls in. No more rattling.

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/24/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by chargervert
I have those tips on my Ram,and they rattled too. I put a couple tack welds on the underside of the tips where the edge rolls in. No more rattling.

Thank you for the idea!!! up
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/24/19 02:38 PM

There’s always the sidepipes
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/25/19 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by dart4forte
There’s always the sidepipes

Hell Yeah!!!
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/25/19 09:52 AM

I bought mine from B, E & A several years ago and they rattled very soon after they were installed.

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/25/19 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by dfsmopars
I bought mine from B, E & A several years ago and they rattled very soon after they were installed.

I guess that's just a common thing. Bummer...
Posted By: Tom Swope

Re: 71 to 74 machine gun tailpipe tips - 09/25/19 02:22 PM

It is a common issue for the inner section to rattle until hot enough to expand into the end of the tip if these are stainless units.
A remedy could be to use red high heat silicone squeezed between the inner section and tip end when the tips are cold. When the silicone is cured it should stop most or all of the rattling.
© 2024 Moparts Forums