Moparts

T/A hood engineering diagram

Posted By: varunner

T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/26/19 10:53 AM

Does anyone have a factory sketch showing the T/A hood assembly ? I'm looking to document that this hood did not come with a hood latch or safety ketch. NHRA is reminding racers that hoods need a hood latch. thanks
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/26/19 03:48 PM

Maybe you can find something by searching through this, or contacting the person who posted it.

He does mention that the T/A hood had no latches and requires pins in Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 02:49:09 AM . But you'd have to ask if there is any factory documentation available outlining that.

Challenger T/A info

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/26/19 05:31 PM

Thank you. Lots of info on that site. This should lead me to the document I want

Cheers
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/26/19 06:44 PM

Hood pins only.

No place to mount a latch on the hoods & no need for the pop-up springs either.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/26/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Hood pins only.

No place to mount a latch on the hoods & no need for the pop-up springs either.

NHRA requires verifiable documentation if there is any variations that may conflict with their existing rules. They have been known to make exceptions, but being prepared, just in case, like in court, is prudent. Otherwise, it can hurt your wallet and reputation if they decide to enforce and/or "interpret" a particular rule against you.

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 12:29 AM

I have a 70 challenger in nhra stock. This is what got my attention and need documentation.

nhra statement on hood latch

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 12:40 AM

Question:

Can I remove the hood latch and use hood pins on my Stock / Super Stock entry?

Answer:

Per the 2019 NHRA Rulebook sections 11A and 12A pages 11 and 9 under Body:7 Hood it reads "Full stock hood including latches, hinges, springs, brackets, and braces as originally produced must be retained." With that said you may add hood pins, in addition to the original latch.

He asked if he could remove it.

No latch to remove on T/As (or AARs) so you should be good to go.

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 12:46 AM

Alaskan T/A, I may have to prove, via oem documentation, that the T/A hood did not have a latch or safety catch. Referencing a social media post is not going to cut it, at least if it I was the one hearing that response. Appreciate the info though.

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 12:53 AM

Well, next July at Carlisle is the 50 Year Reunion for the AARS & T/As so come take photos of every original cars hood & latch area.

You will not go home with any photos of an original latch or catch on any of them though.......... up

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 12:17 PM

A few good pictures might not hurt to have, as I'm not having to convince a mopar fan what is legit. If I feel like sweating and having a couple of yingling, I might just do that !
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 02:30 PM

Given this car has been out of production and used in racing for the past 49 years, I'm amazed someone in NHRA doesn't already have the exception for this in place.

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 05:06 PM

They very well might, but wouldn't count on it. NHRA has a ton of stuff to keep up with, or should keep up with and records on hood latches ain't at the top of the list.. I'd just like to have documentation to deal with it if it comes up. So far I haven't found anything in B/W
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 05:56 PM

You won't find anything in black-white... the T/A hood ONLY uses hood pins... period... and the NHRA knows that... they've had plenty of other T/A hood cars run their past events for decades... same for the AAR Cuda hood.

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 08:32 PM

If NHRA hadn't recently made a statement about just using hood pins, I've wouldn't have wasted my time posting here.
Posted By: floyd

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/27/19 11:39 PM

Come to think of it, it seems pretty odd that there wasn’t an engineering drawing for both the AAR and T/A hood set ups...
Posted By: BradH

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/28/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by varunner

Thank you. Lots of info on that site. This should lead me to the document I want

Cheers

Might find something of note here, too. NO mention of latch on 'glass hood, only the factory-installed hood pins, FWIW...

http://hamtramck-historical.com/1970_TA_Challenger_Ordering.shtml

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/...70-dodge-challenger-ta-review-road-test/

EDIT: I should add that my hood is an older ASC&P T/A replica, which was considered one of the better reproductions at that time, and there is no provision for a latch mechanism.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: T/A hood engineering diagram - 08/28/19 11:08 PM

After the crusade to get that hood legal for non-T/A cars in Stock, I would think the NHRA has every piece of information there is. whistling
© 2024 Moparts Forums