Moparts

Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum

Posted By: Vert

Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 12:14 AM

I have a brushed aluminum radiator and it developed some oxidation over the past couple of years while sitting. I tried a paper towel soaked with vinegar lying on it for a short time. Also tried scrubbing it with a cloth soaked in vinegar. No luck with either. Any suggestions on cleaning this off?

Attached picture IMG_7483.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7484.JPG
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 12:26 AM

Oxidation causes pitting.

You may be able to polish to a fresh surface, but no cleaner removes pitting.

If it was anodized & just the coating wore through, you may be able to have it anodized again?

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 01:28 AM

Thanks for your help. I may Flitz it and then hit with Eastwood Diamond Clear. It'll be polished then instead of brushed tho...
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 02:08 AM

A Scotchbrite pad will clean it off and keep it brushed looking. Just scrub in the direction of the brush marks. They make different grit pads for finer or more aggressive scrubbing.
Posted By: srt

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 02:22 AM

Try Colonel Brassy . I used it on old ozidized wheels and they are very presentable.
A mothers power ball chucked in a variable speed drill will help.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 04:00 PM

A Scotchbrite pad will clean it off and keep it brushed looking. Just scrub in the direction of the brush marks. They make different grit pads for finer or more aggressive scrubbing.

iagree A Scotchbrite pad will clean it up fast.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 04:22 PM

"OO" steel wool works great also on bare aluminum.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/26/19 08:04 PM

Rubber sanding block with a fine grit paper and some water. Sand left to right to make it uniform. Little car wax when your done to seal it.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/27/19 11:37 PM

I tried all these suggestions on my Power Wagon's anodized grille but nothing brought back any shine. My mechanic suggested Oven Cleaner so I tried that then scrubbed with the scotch brite and that actually brought back some shine.
Posted By: burdar

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/28/19 01:34 PM

To polish anodized aluminum, you first have to remove the anodizing. The oven cleaner you used, stripped off the anodizing so the aluminum could be polished.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/28/19 05:33 PM

Non coated wheel cleaner will remove the oxidation / stains and brighten the aluminum but it will not remove pitting. Works well on carbs and intakes beer
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/28/19 06:22 PM

Autosol . . . best damn stuff ! Will take some elbow grease too, but it will be awesome !!!

http://www.autosol.com/product_p/1824.htm

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/30/19 01:28 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Its brushed, but I don't think its anodized. Hopefully I can brush, sand off the oxidation, brush the "brushed" pattern back in, and clearcoat it.
Posted By: feets

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 08/30/19 03:11 PM

I use gray scotchbrite pads to get the brushed look. It's very similar to how it's done in manufacturing but they have big powered wheels of the stuff.
Posted By: Uberpube

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 09/01/19 01:28 PM

In the air conditioning trade, we use some caustic cleaners called nu-brite, and alka-brite for cleaning and brightening aluminum condensers. It works really well for car parts as well, cleaned up the belly pan of my viper with it.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: Removing oxidation on brushed aluminum - 09/03/19 06:59 PM

Non painted aluminum wheel cleaner should work great, it brings back heads a manifolds also.
© 2024 Moparts Forums