Moparts

PPG 2210 Plum crazy!

Posted By: 19cuda73

PPG 2210 Plum crazy! - 08/25/19 10:32 PM

This question I’m sure has come up before but I’m getting ready to have a TA painted with PPG 2210 Is this the best match for the original single stage paint from the 70s. Here is a spray out but it’s hard to get a good photo. Any suggestions

Attached picture 20190819_075829.jpg
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: PPG 2210 Plum crazy! - 08/26/19 02:18 PM

Looks good to me.
Posted By: TJP

Re: PPG 2210 Plum crazy! - 08/26/19 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman
Looks good to me.

iagree
And will add there are a lot a variables that affect the final color when spraying metallic. The gun tip size, distance away from the panel, primer color, the painter themselves, number of coats applied and the list goes on. Do be aware that a single stage metallic cannot be wet sanded to remove any imperfections, orange peel etc. Once it's dry, it's what you have beer
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: PPG 2210 Plum crazy! - 08/27/19 06:27 AM

Not too familiar with what paint is available now, but back in the day with the original RM brand purple we added clear to the last coats of paint so it could be buffed and it lasted way better. They also used this color on imperials with 1/2 the metalic, deep plum, that looked really nice, and did not fall off and fade as bad. I am sure there is a single stage clear that will work, and I would use it or go base clear. Color you have looks good, I doubt they have the exact metal flakes anymore. Ppg and RM were a little off from each other in the 80s, but there is no doubt what color you have there is mopars purple.
Posted By: BirdinPieces

Re: PPG 2210 Plum crazy! - 08/28/19 12:13 AM

Call Mark at Magnum Auto Restorations in Lasalle, Illinois. He is painting my car PCP sometime this fall. He went to a PPG seminar awhile ago and he said they made a modern formula that was an exact match. It was compared to an original can someone at the factory found in a corner somewhere.
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: PPG 2210 Plum crazy! - 08/28/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by BirdinPieces
Call Mark at Magnum Auto Restorations in Lasalle, Illinois. He is painting my car PCP sometime this fall. He went to a PPG seminar awhile ago and he said they made a modern formula that was an exact match. It was compared to an original can someone at the factory found in a corner somewhere.

Very good advice here !!
© 2024 Moparts Forums