Moparts

Which mini starter do I ask for?

Posted By: rickseeman

Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 12:08 AM

We are putting a 1969 style BB motor in a car. It has a manual transmission, so it's the 11" clutch. I believe its a 143 tooth flywheel. The TTI header instructions say to use a mini starter. It gives several Mopar part numbers. But we were going to get one at Auto Zone or wherever. Which one would be best? What model/year/engine car do I tell them it's for? Thanks.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 12:11 AM

1998 Ram with a 360 should work.

NAPA has a lifetime warranty now also.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 12:28 AM

Any decent parts store should be able to cross an OEM part number to something they sell.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 12:33 AM

I suggest the genuine Denso unit that Mancini carries. I'm running a factory 318 Dakota starter on my 143 tooth flywheel with Doug's headers and it fits fine.
Gus beer

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
I suggest the genuine Denso unit that Mancini carries. I'm running a factory 318 Dakota starter on my 143 tooth flywheel with Doug's headers and it fits fine.
Gus beer

That's what I used on my 65. (It's an automatic.) I didn't know if it would work on a car that had a direct drive starter originally.

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 02:17 PM

I wish we still had a NAPA around here. Ours had some knowledgeable people in there. I'll get one and give it a try. Thanks.
Posted By: topside

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 02:40 PM

Your NAPA may have had some good people, but I question their starter rebuilder:

I'm on the 3rd replacement NAPA Premium starter in my Pathfinder.
Factory one lasted over 190,000 miles.
Their best rebuilts get maybe 5,000 before stranding you somewhere.
This latest one sounds like it's laboring...
Posted By: therocks

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 03:22 PM

I have a reman Advance in my 65 440.12.5 compression and 2 inch TTIs with 4 speed.Been in for 20 years.Still works like new.My son ran 440 source in his 62 300 413.It was in like 5 years and no problems.Rocky
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman
Gus beer

That's what I used on my 65. (It's an automatic.) I didn't know if it would work on a car that had a direct drive starter originally.

I'm pretty sure only the early production 426 HEMI used the direct drive starter with a special bellhousing that wont use the late model gear reduction starter.
Double check your bell and flywheel before you bolt it all together twocents

Gus beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/25/19 10:57 PM

My 64 300's 413 used a direct drive starter and the mini starter didn't fit. It was a 3 speed manual trans, not an auto or an A833.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/26/19 01:22 AM

The 143 is a bolt in on the starter.The DD Hemi was iirc 178 teeth.My buddy has one in his Runner.I run a 143 with Lakewood.Did run the stock bell years ago.No problems with a mini.My stock bell was from like a 69 or so Runner.Just remember if it has the plastic cap it usually has to be tossed.Some blocks need the studs cut down a bit also.Rocky
Posted By: 383man

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 08/26/19 03:22 AM

I replaced my Power Master mini starter about 3 years ago for my 440/493 in my 63 . Went to Salvo's and got one for a 98 pickup truck for a 318. Cost me about $70 dollars and has a lifetime warranty. Still working great with no problems and cranks my bigblock over very good. Ron
Posted By: RobbMc

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/21/19 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by rickseeman
Gus beer

I'm pretty sure only the early production 426 HEMI used the direct drive starter with a special bellhousing that wont use the late model gear reduction starter.
Double check your bell and flywheel before you bolt it all together twocents

Gus beer

Gus is right. After the early '60's, the only direct drive starter was in the '66-'69 Hemi cars and only those with a manual trans and 172 tooth ring gear. For those rare applications, the only aftermarket gear reduced replacement starter is the RobbMc: http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/hemi_starter.html
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/22/19 03:04 AM

If you have a Mopar number, they should be smart enough to do a cross reference. Or you could go to their website and do it yourself. I always know the numbers I need when I go to a part store. Saves the aggravation.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/22/19 02:46 PM

aggravation ? at a parts store ? laugh2 laugh2 laugh2
surely not ? laugh2 laugh2 laugh2
you mean your vehicle is "not in the computer" ? laugh2 laugh2 laugh2
whistling stirthepot
beer
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/22/19 04:06 PM

Even when I have a part number and know exactly what I want they still want to know what year and model it is going on. I tell them it doesn't matter because it never came on this car but they disagree. The only way they know how to find it in their computer is to drill down starting with year, make, and model. Seriously, they can't look up it up by a part number? Crap software or too lazy to learn how to use all of its features?

You should have seen the chaos when I wanted to buy a Honda battery for my Simplicity lawn tractor. Haha. The Simplicity battery is like 1/8" different in size, costs more, has less amps and is no longer made.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/22/19 04:50 PM

My Dart has a reman from a 93 5.2 Dakota, it's been flawless for almost 15 years. It's been on the 340, 408 and now the 434.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/22/19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
aggravation ? at a parts store ? laugh2 laugh2 laugh2
surely not ? laugh2 laugh2 laugh2
you mean your vehicle is "not in the computer" ? laugh2 laugh2 laugh2
whistling stirthepot
beer

Been awhile, but back when I didn't have a computer in my pocket or in the shop, I pulled a part (some electronic thing IIRC) from one of my vehicles, carried it to an AZ, showed it to the guy and said - this is a xxx and I need this for my xxx, He looked at it and said - they never made one. After that, I knew part numbers - just go get one off the shelf please.
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/23/19 12:28 AM

as per Slantsixdan:

"There is even a smaller starter that works... Ask for one from a 2005-2008 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 and a MANUAL transmission, the automatic starter for this application is totally different and will not fit.

It is a coaxial (planetary) gear reduction design, not offset like the Chrysler and Nippondenso gear reduction starter designs. That's why the motor housing is directly in line with the starter drive axis, thus making the whole starter more "laterally compact".

Be sure and get a genuine starter with a Chrysler, Denso, or Nippondenso nameplate on it. The Chinese copycats flooding the market (advertised at parts stores as "100% new!") are junk. A used genuine starter from a wrecking yard is preferable to a new fake/Chinese or "remanufactured" starter."

[Linked Image]

EDIT: You will have to drill out the one threaded hole this starter has. I forgot to mention that.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/23/19 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by mopardude318
as per Slantsixdan:

"There is even a smaller starter that works... Ask for one from a 2005-2008 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 and a MANUAL transmission, the automatic starter for this application is totally different and will not fit.

It is a coaxial (planetary) gear reduction design, not offset like the Chrysler and Nippondenso gear reduction starter designs. That's why the motor housing is directly in line with the starter drive axis, thus making the whole starter more "laterally compact".

Be sure and get a genuine starter with a Chrysler, Denso, or Nippondenso nameplate on it. The Chinese copycats flooding the market (advertised at parts stores as "100% new!") are junk. A used genuine starter from a wrecking yard is preferable to a new fake/Chinese or "remanufactured" starter."

[img]https://i.ibb.co/ySkxp2q/IMG-0424-zpsa920a78b.jpg[/

I’ll check into that tomorrow.

Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Which mini starter do I ask for? - 09/23/19 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by BloFish
Originally Posted by mopardude318
as per Slantsixdan:

[img]https://i.ibb.co/ySkxp2q/IMG-0424-zpsa920a78b.jpg[/

I’ll check into that tomorrow.

© 2024 Moparts Forums