Moparts

Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options?

Posted By: A34

Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/24/19 06:10 PM

Hey Guys,

I was looking for a Mopar Electronic Conversion kit for a small block. Chrysler says it's NS1. The MP number comes up in ebay with several folks selling a Proform kit which says it's Mopar licensed. Anyone had experience with this kit? How has it peformed? Reliability? Quality? Any other complete conversion kits you'd recommend?

Thanks!!
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/24/19 06:56 PM

I avoid Proform like the plague. Everything they make is pure import made junk.

I'm disappointed (but not surprised) Mopar decided to sell them their branding for certain parts like water pumps and ignitions. I just went through two different Mopar six pack sir cleaner setups and both were absolute garbage and returned.
Posted By: topside

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/24/19 07:25 PM

There are several options for ignition, depends on how OEM you want it to appear, and of course the ol' wallet.
If you look through the archives, you'll find Pertronix, FBO, a variety of MSD setups, the GM HEI trick, etc.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/24/19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet
I avoid Proform like the plague. Everything they make is pure import made junk.

iagree

Whenever a car comes in with anything from proform electronics we advise the owner to swap them out. Quite a few that have not heeded the recommendation have come back on a hook whistling. The hard parts seem OK but their electrical items are junk IMO twocents beer
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/24/19 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by topside
There are several options for ignition, depends on how OEM you want it to appear, and of course the ol' wallet.
If you look through the archives, you'll find Pertronix, FBO, a variety of MSD setups, the GM HEI trick, etc.
X2
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/24/19 11:31 PM

IMHO Proform is hit and miss. Be prepared to throw a out of the box on a dizzy machine. Also, the vacuum advance cans can be set excessively high. That can be addressed when you have the dizzy tuned.
Posted By: elmor353

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 01:53 AM

I would look for a decent used factory dizzy, then buy a coil, resister, control unit, from a parts house, pick up the wiring harness from Mancini and you are all in for about $100.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by elmor353
I would look for a decent used factory dizzy, then buy a coil, resister, control unit, from a parts house, pick up the wiring harness from Mancini and you are all in for about $100.

You can buy it all new for that price.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 02:30 AM

How about the FireCore kit from Mancini..
https://www.manciniracing.com/eldicokihiec.html

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by elmor353

You can buy it all new for that price.

Got any recommendations on where for a quality kit?

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 09:45 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Nothing like bean counters to ruin good quality parts.

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 09:58 PM

Kit, no.

You can get a new distributor from Rockauto. $54, Spectra
Ballast from Rockauto. $5 Standard.
Wiring harness from Jegs. $21 Jegs
Ignition control module Rockauto. $17 United, has Motorola power transistor.

$97.

If you want to step up a level, get the distributor from above then use this kit from Jegs. Upgraded ICU, ballast and wiring $64

$118, which is about the cost of that Proform kit.

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 10:03 PM

I ordered a 73 340 dizzy from Rock Auto. When I unpacked it turns out to be a ProForm.

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by dart4forte
I ordered a 73 340 dizzy from Rock Auto. When I unpacked it turns out to be a ProForm.

there are three different brands for a new one, which did you order?
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/25/19 11:37 PM

MSD 8388 kit.

Re: Proform Electronic Ignition Conversion any good? Options? - 08/26/19 02:17 PM

I ordered from Orielys.
© 2024 Moparts Forums