Moparts

How Hot Do TailPipes Get?

Posted By: 340SIX

How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/21/19 09:31 PM

The tailpipes them self, not the head pipes
Posted By: stumpy

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/21/19 09:42 PM

Too many variables to answer that other than a wild ass guess. grin Depends on the engine, the tune up, the length of the exhaust system the size of the exhaust, type of muffler, thickness of the pipes etc. I've seen systems that were to hot to touch and some that were almost cool.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 01:43 AM

Up here where the weather gets cold in the winter, and hot in the summer, I would have to say the time of the year will have an impact on how hot a tail pipe gets as well.
I've not ever seen a cold tailpipe on anything that has been running for more then 5 minutes, but I've used the tail pipes as a hand warmer in the winter a few times. Gene
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 05:09 AM

Hot enough to burn off condensation
Posted By: feets

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 02:43 PM

I've measured the exhaust tips on my C55 at 150+ degrees after some "enthusiastic" driving.
Posted By: TJP

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Too many variables to answer that other than a wild ass guess. grin Depends on the engine, the tune up, the length of the exhaust system the size of the exhaust, type of muffler, thickness of the pipes etc. I've seen systems that were to hot to touch and some that were almost cool.

iagree Uhh you left out, single or dual, number of cylinders, crossover pipe or not, at what ambient temp., at what RPM, LOL beer
Posted By: burdar

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 02:50 PM

Hot enough to melt a plastic bumper cover if the tail pipe is too close.

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 04:43 PM

Kinda was wondering if 500* or less something of that nature
Posted By: stumpy

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 05:02 PM

I think that is way to high an estimate. I just checked my cat converters with a heat gun and they were at 195* tail pipes at 120*. The engine is a 5.7 hemi.
Posted By: 360view

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/22/19 06:23 PM

Conditions?

Whenever water is not dripping out the tailpipe and no “fog” seen then it is above 212 degrees F.

Full throttle for more than 60 seconds on a hot summer day while overtop blacktop pavement?
1000 F at the exhaust manifold declining to 500 F at muffler outlet to 350 F at tip.
If the tailpipes are extra large diameter like 4 inches lower above numbers.
If stainless steel raise above numbers.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/23/19 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 360view
Conditions?

Whenever water is not dripping out the tailpipe and no “fog” seen then it is above 212 degrees F.

Full throttle for more than 60 seconds on a hot summer day while overtop blacktop pavement?
1000 F at the exhaust manifold declining to 500 F at muffler outlet to 350 F at tip.
If the tailpipes are extra large diameter like 4 inches lower above numbers.
If stainless steel raise above numbers.

I vote for this as the best answer.

On a directly related point, I would add that as the temperature falls going toward the rear exit, so does the pressure. As the temperature and pressure decrease, so does any benefit decrease when trying to improve the exhaust system. Likewise, decreasing the pipe diameter slightly near the tip causes no measurable loss of power, which the factory did with some exhaust tips.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/23/19 12:40 PM

Back before exhaust systems were made of stainless the tail pipe was the first thing to rot out, primarily because it was the last to heat up and first to cool off and condensation collected there first.

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/26/19 09:04 PM

Ok, thanks. Wanted to shoot some 500-degree paint on just the tailpipes.
As was putting SS X in the middle.with SS Muffs
Just hated to see the tailpipes go to crap look wise
Posted By: SALEM1912

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/27/19 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by feets
I've measured the exhaust tips on my C55 at 150+ degrees after some "enthusiastic" driving.

"enthusiastic" driving. But officer I need to know how hot my tailpipes are getting! I am going to save that line. LOL
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/27/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
Ok, thanks. Wanted to shoot some 500-degree paint on just the tailpipes.
As was putting SS X in the middle.with SS Muffs
Just hated to see the tailpipes go to crap look wise

This was done 7 yrs ago,a lot hotter than the tailpipes,from the outlet back,still looks like it did when painted.

Attached picture Picture 170.jpg
Attached picture P8270941.JPG
Attached picture Picture 135.jpg

Re: How Hot Do TailPipes Get? - 08/27/19 06:14 PM

I blasted the Manifolds and used that same paint with a top coat of clear both with 1200*
But have some 500 High Heat made by then that has a gloss to it so was going to use it up on the tailpipes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums