Moparts

Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs??

Posted By: mymcodebee

Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 06:37 PM

This what we have currently and as you car see this is not going to work.

Up front is a magnum force transformer suspension... Very aware of their issues floating around but we are stuck with it at this point.
Out back are SS springs that were bought prior to the choice of the front end.
The coils are tightened up pretty tight up front and we are debating going with a 235-70s to get more tire width and about an 1 1/2 of lift in the front end. .
The owner wants to stay with factory 15" tires so the new stuff is not an option.

The springs are on the upper hole in the hangers already but I need this thing leveled out..
Any thoughts or just get a new set of springs..

Attached picture IMG956365.jpg
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 07:18 PM

which part number are those and is there anything left install in the trunk area???

i put the 456/457 SS springs on my 67 coronet and it only raised it 1.5" over the low performance springs that were on it...

also, you could probably just put the mopar XHD reproduction springs on the car and it will sit nicely.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 07:26 PM

Looking at that pic, I gotta ask.

Is the top of the rear spring hanger point towards the front, or the rear of the vehicle? Cause I'm thinking rear.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 07:26 PM

Back seat is in besides that nothing of any real weight that will move it much..

I'm considering loosening all fasteners back up again as maybe I had them too tight before I sat it down for final tightening...
I cant imagine it made they much difference but considering it..

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

Is the top of the rear spring hanger point towards the front, or the rear of the vehicle? Cause I'm thinking rear.

Not sure what exactly your asking.. The rear shackles are on correctly... I believe...
The front hangers have two spots to place the springs. I'm on the top one letting the car sit as low as possible.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 07:48 PM

Look from the outside, the rear shackle should point like this \

If it points like this / it sits real high.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 09:13 PM

oh yeah, forgot about that.
my springs did that, i used a prybar to rotate it back so it would sit correctly...

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 09:31 PM

Did it set super high?
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 10:13 PM

Something doesnt look right. I have these on the top spring and it sits much lower. On the bottom hole the wheels tuck in the wells.Can you get a picture of the front and rear perches?

Attached picture Gregs68AA.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 10:47 PM

Regarding rear shackle angle, I'll put it this way:

The bottom of the shackle where the spring eye attaches should point to the rear of the vehicle, never forward.
That's a TON of lift going on there.
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/13/19 11:41 PM

Get a breaker bar on the rear shackle and pull it back as you lower the car. Look at the diagram.

Attached picture rearsusp1.jpg

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 12:05 AM

Ahh. I see. Let me head down to garage right now and see if that's what's going on!

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 12:19 AM

That appears to be my issue. I will loosen up system and get these going the right way.
Thanks for the info I been messing with these for years and never run into this!

Attached picture Shackle.jpg

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 01:00 AM

Not that you've seen it, you'll never forget it, BTDT.
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 04:11 AM

If it turns into a battle:
You can make it easier on yourself with a length of bar and a couple of large C-clamps.
Support the car on jackstands & jack up the diff, free it from the springs.
Clamp the bar to the spring, reduce the arch, and the spring will lengthen.
(You can also help the process by loosening the front spring mounts; the spring & shackles will move rearward a bit.)
Pop the rear shackles back if they're not there already, and then reassemble.
Torque to specs after the car's back on the ground.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 12:25 PM

Thanks again! Appreciate the info. I'll tackle this asap.
Posted By: moparjack44

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by mymcodebee
This what we have currently and as you car see this is not going to work.

Up front is a magnum force transformer suspension... Very aware of their issues floating around but we are stuck with it at this point.
Out back are SS springs that were bought prior to the choice of the front end.
The coils are tightened up pretty tight up front and we are debating going with a 235-70s to get more tire width and about an 1 1/2 of lift in the front end. .
The owner wants to stay with factory 15" tires so the new stuff is not an option.

The springs are on the upper hole in the hangers already but I need this thing leveled out..
Any thoughts or just get a new set of springs..

Lowering blocks. Old school, but works, creates no additional issues.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 03:14 PM

Might want to read the thread
Posted By: rarefish

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 05:38 PM

I might be stating the obvious, but do you have the correct longer length front spring hangers that are required when using the SS springs on
a non A-body vehicle?
The required 1966-70 Dodge B-body hanger is part # P4120079
Looking at your picture, I can see that the wheel looks to be sitting forward in the wheel well.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 07:15 PM

Might want to read the thread

Thought I did. Says he wanted to "level it"?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 07:53 PM

Did you see what the real problem is? Improper angle on the rear shackles. It helps to read more than just the op when replying because sometimes that leads to wrong advice. grin
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 10:40 PM

How long have those rear springs been on the car? I ask because when I installed the ESPO 6 leaf HD leaf springs on my 68 Coronet the back end sat high like your Charger.
Took about 2 weeks before the new springs settled down. If yours are brand new give them a little time settle.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/14/19 11:04 PM

Holler what it ends up being

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/15/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Did you see what the real problem is? Improper angle on the rear shackles. It helps to read more than just the op when replying because sometimes that leads to wrong advice. grin

OK, I get it. But I read each post (again), the word "angle" never said. shruggy Low, Lower, Height, mentioned in nearly every post. Last thing I would want to do is give bad advice, because I come here a lot looking for advice, and normally get good advice. I receive a lot more from this site than I give. up
The main thing is that he is able to get the "good" advice that will allow him to resolve his issue, angle or height.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/15/19 04:20 PM

this is basically what people are thinking might be going on with the rear shackles.

[Linked Image]

i know my 3400lb bbody SS springs did this when i was dropping the car down, i just used a pry bar to pull the shackle to the correct position then finished setting the car down...

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/15/19 04:25 PM

That appears to be my issue. I will loosen up system and get these going the right way.
Thanks for the info I been messing with these for years and never run into this!

if this is what your shackle angle looks like, i think you need to be sure you have the correct front spring hangers. they are 2" longer than the factory hangers if you are using the Super Stock springs, which have a 20" front segment.

this is for SS springs.
https://www.manciniracing.com/marasphaset7.html

this is for the stock springs with 22" front segment.
https://www.manciniracing.com/marasphaset5.html

if you have the shorter front springs hangers, maybe it would be best to get some Reproduction XHD springs. the rear will probably sit lower then the SS springs.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/15/19 05:37 PM

Sorry guys probably wasn't clear enough on my post anyway. All info is good.

So my shackles are not sitting on the frame, not to say they wouldn't after a few rides as they are already heading in that direction..
My front shackles are these and were ordered with the springs.
I will work on them this weekend and see if it levels out a bit.
I'll keep you posted.
It has been sitting on these for at least six months but never driven on yet.

Attached picture hanger.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/16/19 02:05 PM

what do the REAR shackles look like ?
the picture you posted is called the front spring HANGER.
beer

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/16/19 02:15 PM

he already posted a pic. they are pointing in the wrong direction.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...-spring-from-ss-springs.html#Post2687419

i have the 456/457 springs and they aren't super high.
i wonder if torquing the front bolt through the bushings with the rear in the air and the axle freehanging would make the car sit high...
Posted By: moparx

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/16/19 02:31 PM

i must have forgot about that pic. sorry. "oldtimers" disease i got. grin
cranking the bushings tight while in the air does have a tendency to make things higher, as this puts the bushings in a bind.
beer
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/17/19 02:06 AM

Measure how much lower you want the car to be. Then remove the springs and take your own measurement of the arch. Straight line from bushing to bushing, then record the distance from that line to the mounting stud for the centering pad.

Take them to a spring shop and have the dearched.

The wheel being forward in wheel opening will move rearward when the front segment more horizontal after the dearching.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/17/19 02:24 AM

Once he flips the shackles in the right direction he may not have to do anything else.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/17/19 02:42 AM

That shackle is not overcenter holding the leaf in a bind. There is too much arch on the leaf. My P 454, 455 Super Stock springs are the same way. They are arched for 4x4 truck ground clearance. The center of my wheels are about 6" below the lowest point of the rocker panels.

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/19/19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Magnum

That shackle is not overcenter holding the leaf in a bind. There is too much arch on the leaf. My P 454, 455 Super Stock springs are the same way. They are arched for 4x4 truck ground clearance. The center of my wheels are about 6" below the lowest point of the rocker panels.

I believe you are correct. I tried to move them and they appear to be exactly where they want to be...
Its going to take a little more effort. I will have to dig deeper and remove them and de arch or put some different springs on. There is no way to make this car sit how I want especially with my front end height being so limited with the Magnum Force front suspension.

Thank you for the input however everyone.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/19/19 05:24 PM

Glad you posted a picture with the last three digits/hand written part number visible.

The problem is, assuming the "456" is correct, then those are the wrong leaf springs.

I've tried to install them myself on a 68 to 70 b body, with the same result.

456/457 are too short, and they have a 35 inch rear segment, Mancini's website has been wrong for years.

You need leaf springs with a 36 inch rear segment.

Only two Mopar Performance springs have the correct 36" rear segment length: P3690455 left, and P3690454 right.

If you have your heart set on the 456 and 457 springs, you can make them work but you will have to
punch a hole through the frame rail and weld in a tube forward of the original location.

Good luck! up

Before it starts-
no, all super stock springs are not the same
yes they all do have a 20" front segment length
no they do not all have the same rear segment length
no the front hanger doesn't make up for the different rear segment length, only front where applicable

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/20/19 05:15 PM

this is one of the 456/457 springs I bought from summit 3-4 years ago. the original spring is from my 67 coronet.
the springs hangers are almost perfectly perpendicular to the ground, they point to the rear of the car just a tad. the reason for that is i used Plymouth front springs hangers instead of the Dodge front spring hangers. I was in a hurry ordering and didn't realize until I had already installed them. I think the that puts my axle about .60" forward of where it was originally...

https://flic.kr/p/SYGCT5
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/20/19 05:31 PM

Really it's best to take a tape measure, check rear segment length to start with....when these things come up....

36" is the book spec length for later B body. All except 454/455 are shorter than 36".

In the case of my '69 it had to be 454/455, nothing else would work, same issue as original poster.

I believe some of it depends on how much the arch flattens out with vehicle weight applied (or does not flatten out
as in the case of an earlier poster).

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/20/19 10:48 PM

Wow great info. I had no idea I was going to get this much info on this post. I will pull these springs off and get the ones on there that are supposed to be on there.
Thank you for the info!!
Posted By: GY3

Re: Anyone remove a spring from SS Springs?? - 08/21/19 04:09 AM

Or, throw them in the garbage where they belong!

They will end up there in a couple of years anyway after losing their arch and becoming more flaccid than an 80 year-old man.

Buy springs from someone with a better reputation than MP.
© 2024 Moparts Forums