Moparts

Trouble starting after driving

Posted By: BadFishy

Trouble starting after driving - 08/03/19 02:54 PM

Hi, I just noticed a problem with my car. Easily starts from cold, even after a few days or weeks of not driving. But what I've noticed recently is that after I drive it, even for 15 minutes, and stop the engine, then try start again right away, it has a lot of trouble turning over. 6 - 8 attempts later it finally starts, but just barely. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Posted By: moparx

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 08/03/19 03:49 PM

if not cranking when hot, there could be multiple electrical issues, including wiring, connections, battery cables, bulkhead connections, etc.
what car is this ? any other symptoms ?
the more info we have, the better chance we have of helping you conquer your difficulties.
beer
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 08/03/19 11:38 PM

So when you say trouble turning over, barely turns over, you do mean as if the battery is drained, correct? So definitely not a fuel issue.
Posted By: 68_661charger

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 08/04/19 12:06 AM

Timing too far advanced? They get hard to crank over when warm.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 08/04/19 12:14 AM

What Larry said, turns over slow or turns over OK but wont light off? Pull the coil wire out of the dist cap & ground it on the intake & if it now cranks over OK then it is timing.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 08/04/19 03:07 PM

Could be as simple as weak battery . Heat will make an old battery not start a car it will easily start cold.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 08/05/19 04:26 AM

During this scenario of will not start. Does a boost help?

Sounds like battery, battery wires or starter.
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 08/05/19 10:40 AM

I just had this problem with My 67 , had the battery checked and was told it checked good. After checking everything else changed the battery and no more problem.
Posted By: MrBill

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 09/27/19 08:13 PM

Fought this problem for years on my 73 340 Cuda. Tried many different starters, batteries, etc . Seemed my engine was "tight" when hot , but spun easily when cold. Thought heat was getting to the starter from headers or the alternator was cooking the battery. Finally solved when I changed the perfect-looking stock-type-but-aftermarket positive battery cable. It had corroded under the insulation and within the battery post connector thus causing a resistance to current flow. I built my own cables from some excellent salvaged jumper cables and soldered copper lugs for the connections at both the starter, engine block and battery post connectors. No more problems.

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 09/28/19 03:26 PM

i too, have run into bad battery cables as you described. on both the positive battery cable, as well as the solenoid to relay wire.
anytime a hot start issue is had, the first thing i encourage is to check for voltage drop on both of those wires, then go from there.
this mostly occurs from using those "bolt on" battery cable ends [did i ever mention i HATE those things ? grin] which invite moisture to creep into the positive cable, causing corrosion inside the cable you can't see.
beer
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 09/28/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
i too, have run into bad battery cables as you described. on both the positive battery cable, as well as the solenoid to relay wire.
anytime a hot start issue is had, the first thing i encourage is to check for voltage drop on both of those wires, then go from there.
this mostly occurs from using those "bolt on" battery cable ends [did i ever mention i HATE those things ? grin] which invite moisture to creep into the positive cable, causing corrosion inside the cable you can't see.
beer

iagree
Posted By: moparjack44

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 10/01/19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 451Mopar
beer

iagree

I also agree. Starter gets hot from the exhaust or sorry battery cables. Believe it or not, sorry ground causes a lot more problems than the postive connections.
Jack

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 10/01/19 02:54 PM

absolutely. as the saying goes : "you can't have too many grounds."
they are VERY important in the scheme[matics] of things. biggrin [a little 'lectric humor there]
beer
Posted By: moparjack44

Re: Trouble starting after driving - 10/01/19 04:49 PM

absolutely. as the saying goes : "you can't have too many grounds."
they are VERY important in the scheme[matics] of things. biggrin [a little 'lectric humor there]
beer

up beer
Jack
© 2024 Moparts Forums