Moparts

1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade?

Posted By: DAYCLONA

1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 04:13 PM

Hey guys, I have a customers 1961 Fury, really nice original car for it's age and condition, I'm looking to do some "upgrades", the first and foremost is the brake system, mainly the master, this is the single line/single pot master unit, (non-power) looking to upgrade the master to a more traditional Mopar 70's style dual line/reservoir (manual) drum/drum master, while I could engineer/machine/fabricate the needed pieces, I'd much rather "cut to the chase" and see what others may have done/employed for an upgrade in this department?.... originality is a non issue here, safety is the primary factor, I'm even open to using brand X parts to get the job done..

Any help is appreciated,
Mike
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 07:14 PM

If all you are doing is updating the MC then stick with factory stuff. Get a later dual reservoir manual MC and it'll bolt on.

You'll likely need a T splitter to tie both the front lines to the rear port and add a bit of hard line to tie the rear brakes to the front port. I suppose you could run a factory splitter from a later all drum setup as well, CI sells one new.

That's exactly how I update my 64 Chrysler to dual reservoir, though in my case it was a power setup.

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
If all you are doing is updating the MC then stick with factory stuff. Get a later dual reservoir manual MC and it'll bolt on.

You'll likely need a T splitter to tie both the front lines to the rear port and add a bit of hard line to tie the rear brakes to the front port. I suppose you could run a factory splitter from a later all drum setup as well, CI sells one new.

That's exactly how I update my 64 Chrysler to dual reservoir, though in my case it was a power setup.

Thanks! pretty much what I plan, just wondering on the pedal rod/linkage compatibility with a 70's style dual/drum/drum master, might also consider a front disc conversion if the customer is interested?

Thanks
Mike

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 08:51 PM

I have not found pedal rod/linkage compatibility to be an issue, but I am not a B body guy.

I just reuse the rod from the original application in the replacement MC, though finding that little rubber bushing is hit or miss these days.

IIRC, the retaining groove in the piston for that bushing is located in the same spot in relation to the M/C mounting face single or dual pot, a quick check with a dial caliper will confirm that.

Reusing the original rod takes care of any length issues there and the pedal ratio is the same so you should be good.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 09:06 PM

Most of the FL cars didn't have the rubber push rod retainer bushing, they have a positive pedal up stop. The push rod is adjustable for length so just adjust it for .020" free play at the MC.

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 09:14 PM

FL cars?

Never found an adjustable pushrod in a manual car, but then again, never fooled with a 61 Fury either.

Attached picture 61 mb.JPG
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 09:15 PM

FL = Forward Look

Attached picture The Forward Look.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 09:40 PM

Did '61s still use the double-leading-shoe design like '57-'58 ?
Might want to look at that too, if you're the guy that has to service the car in the future.
I've been told they're a bear to work on & require some specialized tools, but the guys on the FL site may debunk that.
If it was mine, I'd be strongly tempted to swap on discs or at least later & bigger brakes.
(Gee, I wonder why all my stuff turns into a major project? laugh2)
Posted By: Montclaire

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/29/19 11:08 PM

Link for front discs
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=54

You can also buy an adjustable rod, which I’d recommend since you are going off the map a bit.

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/30/19 01:10 PM

Thanks Guys!, really appreciate the insight/info pointing me in the right direction

Mike
Posted By: demon

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/30/19 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Hey guys, I have a customers 1961 Fury, really nice original car for it's age and condition, I'm looking to do some "upgrades", the first and foremost is the brake system, mainly the master, this is the single line/single pot master unit, (non-power) looking to upgrade the master to a more traditional Mopar 70's style dual line/reservoir (manual) drum/drum master, while I could engineer/machine/fabricate the needed pieces, I'd much rather "cut to the chase" and see what others may have done/employed for an upgrade in this department?.... originality is a non issue here, safety is the primary factor, I'm even open to using brand X parts to get the job done..

Any help is appreciated,
Mike

60-64 full size Mopars are easy to upgrade. The F, M, J body disc brake spindles etc will bolt right on. Grab an old Diplomat or 5thAve and swap it all over.
On my 61 Plymouth, I used 64 Chrysler spindles and 11x3 drums on the front, added the sway bar too, used a 69 Raid Runner 83/4 with 11x2 1/2 brakes and a 67 up dual master cyl. Total bolt on and stops great.
Any 65-69 C body diff will bolt right in
Posted By: moparx

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/31/19 02:10 PM

i used a diplomat cop car spindle and disc setup on a 64 300 one time. worked like a champ !
i also used the diplomat swaybar that clamps to the strut rods with a little extra bending at the factory bend. made a big improvement.
the screw in lower balljoints are also the same as the 77-89 diplomats, K719. [57-61 fury]
beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 1961 Plymouth Fury brake upgrade? - 07/31/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
FL cars?

Never found an adjustable pushrod in a manual car, but then again, never fooled with a 61 Fury either.

Well, shoulda said some of instead of most of.

Attached picture MC.PNG
© 2024 Moparts Forums