Moparts

Tranny Pan A727TF

Posted By: moparjack44

Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/24/19 02:27 PM

I am currently running the Moroso extra capacity alumnium Tranny pan. Would there be any cooling benefit to paint the pan? If yes, would white be preferred, or no benefit to paining? I think any degree drop in temp would help.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/24/19 02:51 PM

I would suggest plumbing in an extra (or a larger) cooler in front of the radiator. I believe radiators are painted black to help with heat radiation but the color would not help you in your situation. White (a good idea never thought of that!) would help you spot a fluid leak.

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/24/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
I would suggest plumbing in an extra (or a larger) cooler in front of the radiator. I believe radiators are painted black to help with heat radiation but the color would not help you in your situation. White (a good idea never thought of that!) would help you spot a fluid leak.

I'm running a very large tranny cooler in front of radiator, and a large electric pusher fan in front of tranny cooler. Having no serious issues with tranny, just I find "avoid" cheaper and easier thaan "repair".
Thanks, I'm going to patent the white tranny pan. up
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/24/19 05:16 PM

Won't the paint hold in heat rather than dissipate it. Seems to me it would act as an insulator.

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/24/19 05:22 PM

I'm going to patent the white tranny pan. up
Excellent plan. On what Stump said I believe the paint that rad shops used (at least in the 60's when I saw it being applied) was a type that had better heat conductivity & I believe it was sprayed on real thin. we missed the most important fact, how hot IS is running right now & is that confirmed with a known good mech gauge?

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/25/19 02:00 PM

NO, I don't think so, unless in a city. I don't have any reason, just a gut feeling. No gauge. It's a Hot Rod application, and HotRodders have to react on the side of caution.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/25/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by moparjack44

I'm running a very large tranny cooler in front of radiator, and a large electric pusher fan in front of tranny cooler. Having no serious issues with tranny, just I find "avoid" cheaper and easier thaan "repair".
Thanks, I'm going to patent the white tranny pan. up

Painting it white won't help unfortunately ...unless you plan on driving the car upside down on its roof grin. The white or light colors only help with reflecting radiant heat energy from sources like the Sun (i.e. reflecting the light), where as darker colors tend to absorb more of the light energy. The transmission pan is pointed at the ground under the car, so....yeah.

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/25/19 11:16 PM

The white or light colors only help with reflecting radiant heat energy from sources like the Sun (i.e. reflecting the light),
there's a roofing company here that offers a white spray (of some sort) for roofs. My mentor back in the early 60's a radiator repairman sprayed his work black & someone else mentioned about it being a special thin paint but I'm sure aesthetics is important. I seem to have chronic issues with tranny leaks so I am gonna paint my next one white to help pin it down (& maybe get the MP pan gasket that gets good reviews) & confirm pan rails are flat, the holes especially.

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/26/19 02:43 PM

The white or light colors only help with reflecting radiant heat energy from sources like the Sun (i.e. reflecting the light),
there's a roofing company here that offers a white spray (of some sort) for roofs. My mentor back in the early 60's a radiator repairman sprayed his work black & someone else mentioned about it being a special thin paint but I'm sure aesthetics is important. I seem to have chronic issues with tranny leaks so I am gonna paint my next one white to help pin it down (& maybe get the MP pan gasket that gets good reviews) & confirm pan rails are flat, the holes especially.

Don't forget to send me a Royality check if you paint your tranny pan white... up....

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/26/19 03:39 PM

Don't forget to send me a Royality check if you paint your tranny pan white... up....
I'll send some prayers your way. Spiritual dollars are important (& come in handy sometimes). plus I got a $1700 machine shop bill due any day now!
Posted By: Vert

Re: Tranny Pan A727TF - 07/27/19 05:55 PM

Or a nice red that would hide leaks. :-)
© 2024 Moparts Forums