Moparts

late model 5.2 or 5.9 MPI / OD in earlier chassis

Posted By: gtx6970

late model 5.2 or 5.9 MPI / OD in earlier chassis - 07/23/19 12:27 AM

Anyone done a swap like this.
There is a really clean looking 1972 Dodge D100 locally. Me thinks its screaming for a modern drive line and OD swap.
I think an early 90s MPI with a 46RH attached swap would be easiest

Thoughts , suggestions please
Posted By: poorboy

Re: late model 5.2 or 5.9 MPI / OD in earlier chassis - 07/23/19 01:47 AM

I did a 97 5.9 with the RE46 into a 39 Dodge pickup. I bought a Hot Wire harness (www.hotwireauto.com) not cheap, but is a plug and play with 4 wires to hook up to make the Mopar EFI run. Now, if my luck with the trans would have been as good as the efi was, I'd be driving it now. Note to sef, always install a rebuilt/re-manufactured auto trans.... Gene
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: late model 5.2 or 5.9 MPI / OD in earlier chassis - 07/23/19 04:06 AM

I am doing something similar, see my sig line. I am taking everything from the donor Ram Charger though including the dash, HVAC, steering column, wiring harnesses, fuel tank and lines. I'm also using a NV4500 from a 97 2WD 2500. I am nowhere near done though. At this point I just have the donor truck stripped and the 93 OBD1 converted to an 01 OBD2 controller.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: late model 5.2 or 5.9 MPI / OD in earlier chassis - 07/23/19 12:39 PM

A buddy of mine has the perfect solution for you. A 93 D150 chassis with a 5.2 and auto complete rolling.

Put the Sweptline cab etc on the 93 chassis and get EFI, OD and power steering, brakes, handling plus a ride that won't break your back.

He bought the truck in Florida for a cab and sheet metal donor for his W350 Diesel Dodge. Drove it to Canada.

Kevin
Posted By: poorboy

Re: late model 5.2 or 5.9 MPI / OD in earlier chassis - 07/24/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Twostick
A buddy of mine has the perfect solution for you. A 93 D150 chassis with a 5.2 and auto complete rolling.

Put the Sweptline cab etc on the 93 chassis and get EFI, OD and power steering, brakes, handling plus a ride that won't break your back.

He bought the truck in Florida for a cab and sheet metal donor for his W350 Diesel Dodge. Drove it to Canada.

Kevin

That would be great for my next project, but your some distance from me. By the time I got it here, it likely wouldn't be very cost effective for me. Gene
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: late model 5.2 or 5.9 MPI / OD in earlier chassis - 07/24/19 02:46 AM

We did a 5.2 Magnum OD swap from a '96 Dakota into a 1984 Ramcharger. After looking at the wiring we decided to use the Dakota wiring. We just had to lengthen a few wires. We also never got the cruise control hooked up. The biggest problem was the CEL and speedometer. We solved both of those issues by using the cluster from a '92 truck. There are dual output speedometer adapters (mechanical/pulse), but I never did dig deep enough to figure out which one would work for ours.
© 2024 Moparts Forums