Moparts

70 Pymouth Body ID ?

Posted By: Mopar1970440

70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/17/19 09:54 PM

Car in question is a Plymouth Satellite/Roadrunner shell, the car was used for parts...all bolt on sheet metal is gone and interior. Dash is gone, along with VIN plate, Data plate missing, and there is no title for the shell. It has the Big drum brakes and an 8 3/4 under it. Is there anywhere on the car to find a vin or partial VIN to tell what it was? I sanded down a part on the radiator support and I cant make the numbers out..but it looks like a date stamping almost? Thanks
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/17/19 09:59 PM

If you apply for a state issued VIN, as part of the inspection process they will use the body numbers to determine the full original VIN.

Those records are kept in a Federal database, so it is not just a call up & ask situation. The query has to come from a state agency, in this case it would be part of the state issued VIN application process.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: 70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/18/19 03:06 PM

VIN should be on rad support, on the cowl, and under the rubber seal on trunk side(s) . . .
Posted By: Mopar1970440

Re: 70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/18/19 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by a12rag
VIN should be on rad support, on the cowl, and under the rubber seal on trunk side(s) . . .

I can only make out a few numbers on the radiator support and it looks like there are dashes too so I was leaning toward that just being a date..? where on the cowl should I be looking?
ill check into under the seal on the trunk

Thanks
Posted By: Fab64

Re: 70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/18/19 04:11 PM

I believe it was also on a body panel, in the area behind the rear license plate.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: 70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/18/19 04:55 PM

Driver's side rear quarter, under the weatherstrip. You are only going to get "BO123456" or not a "B" depending on where the car was made. We had the SAME scenario a few times back in the 80's at wrecking yards - one was a Moulin Rouge '70 GTX in TX, the other mystery car was a butterscotch 71 Cuda in CA. Never knew what either car had for drivetrain.
Posted By: topside

Re: 70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/18/19 04:57 PM

The 11" drum brakes and 8.75 rearend are not a lock for it being a Road Runner; I had an original '70 Satellite wagon that had them.
That car was ordered like a wagon version of a 383 RR .
You might look at the quarter panels aft of the scoop area: Road Runner would have 4 holes on each panel for its name plates.
It would also have brackets for dual mufflers, though that's no guarantee it's a RR.
The partial VIN under the trunk weatherstrip will be towards the rear of the left quarter panel, but what you need to find is a full VIN stamp starting with RM.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 70 Pymouth Body ID ? - 07/18/19 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by a12rag

No cowl VIN on B-bodies before the 1971 model year.
© 2024 Moparts Forums