Moparts

Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port?

Posted By: Michael Ecks

Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/17/19 02:44 PM

Does such a thing exist? I have a pair of aluminum heads I bought used, not noticing that the exhaust ports have been opened up nearly to W2 size. With the standard headers, this would have a good amount of exhaust gas flow crashing into the header flange. I think there is enough material to seal, but I would prefer to be able smooth out the transition from the exhaust runner into the header.

This will be for a driver/street stroker. So it has to be a fix that will last more than a race or a season
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/17/19 03:03 PM

I don't think what you are looking for exists.

However aluminum heads can be easily welded up.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/17/19 05:03 PM

The max I have ever read about epoxy based is around 500F, and that is expensive, so my answer to your question is, no.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/18/19 06:01 PM

I wouldn't bother with epoxy/metal when the known fix is easy. Weld and grind.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/19/19 02:09 AM

Grind the header flange to match the ports.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/19/19 02:11 PM

Yes, you can weld on the outside of the header tube/flange connection and grind the inside opening bigger to a point.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/19/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
Yes, you can weld on the outside of the header tube/flange connection and grind the inside opening bigger to a point.

I can't see the headers making it around the block after this mod !! The weld on the thin gauge tube will make them brittle - the main reason virtually every header is welded on the inside of the flange.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/19/19 09:20 PM

Obviously, the correct solution is to weld the heads up.

Whether or not the heads in question are worth the time and $$$ to go through that is another story.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/19/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

They make W2 headers you know,
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/19/19 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

They make W2 headers you know,

Don’t dedicated W2 headers use the W2 bolt pattern?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/20/19 12:28 AM

Drilling holes is easier than welding exhaust ports.
Posted By: topside

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 07/20/19 02:18 AM

W2 to LA header flange adapters, if you have room to space your header outwards.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Epoxy/metal filler that will hold up in exhaust port? - 10/27/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Ecks
Does such a thing exist? I have a pair of aluminum heads I bought used, not noticing that the exhaust ports have been opened up nearly to W2 size. With the standard headers, this would have a good amount of exhaust gas flow crashing into the header flange. I think there is enough material to seal, but I would prefer to be able smooth out the transition from the exhaust runner into the header.

This will be for a driver/street stroker. So it has to be a fix that will last more than a race or a season

This is a new product from a company i buy material from, it's worth looking at, as there is nothing else available i am aware of.

#575-N 3000F

FEATURES
Ceramacast™ 575-N is a fine-grain, alumina-filled, ceramic compound ideal for potting high temperature electrical components including lamps, heaters, vacuum feed-thrus, PTC devices, rheostats, and temperature sensors. Material properties include a temperature resistance to 3000 °F (1650 °C), dielectric strength of 150 Volts/Mil, compressive strength of 11,800 psi, and excellent chemical and moisture resistance.

Ceramacast™ 575-N is supplied in powder form and is mixed in a ratio of 100 parts powder to 13-15 parts water. It is easily dispensed through pressurized dispensing equipment and hydraulically sets in 16 hours at room temperature and cures fully at 250 °F in 1-2 hours. Cured material exhibits a porosity of less than 2% and an extremely low shrink rate of less than 0.3% at 1000 °F.

Ceramacast™ 575-N is available from stock in quart, gallon and five-gallon containers.

Please contact Aremco's Technical Sales Department at technical@aremco.com for more information about this advanced high temperature adhesive.

https://www.aremco.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/A04_18.pdf

© 2024 Moparts Forums