Moparts

HP 440 blocks

Posted By: fastmark

HP 440 blocks - 07/14/19 06:36 PM

Was talking to friend of mine who went to Carlisle and was looking for a 68-71 HP block. He said he found several in the 2-300 range but no one could tell him anything about the condition. He asked if I had any to sell back here at home. Well I’ve got one but don’t need to sell it. Which leads me the ask. There is no difference except the stamping so surely someone out there has come up with the proper stamp to make it look correct. It can never be the original motor for the car so a stamped HP is the next best. Anyone know of some correct stamps for sale? People stamp wheels with new date codes so why not hp on a block.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/14/19 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by fastmark
People stamp wheels with new date codes so why not hp on a block.

Why is it so important that this non-HP motor has an HP stamp?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/14/19 08:33 PM

There is no difference except the stamping so surely someone out there has come up with the proper stamp to make it look correct.

Why?

If an engine comes from a lower performance donor, who cares? The blocks are the same.

If anyone notices incorrect stampings on a car, the cars owner takes a hit to his reputation & so does the car itself.

People start to wonder, if that was stamped, what else was stamped..........

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/15/19 04:15 AM

Why buy a fake wheel with a fake date code and a fake number on a brand new wheel to make people think you have the original wheels on you car that most people threw away? You guys kill me me your correctness sometimes.
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/15/19 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
People stamp wheels with new date codes so why not hp on a block.

Why is it so important that this non-HP motor has an HP stamp?

Maybe he's just not that knowledgeable & thinks if a motor has an HP stamp, the block itself is special.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/15/19 09:16 AM

He found a couple in the 2-$300 range ? Just have a close look, measure up a take a punt. Seems cheap to me.

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/15/19 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ozymaxwedge
He found a couple in the 2-$300 range ? Just have a close look, measure up a take a punt. Seems cheap to me.

My thoughts too. I have one 70 Hp. It’s not $300.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/15/19 12:21 PM

I was not looking for a block at Carlisle but if they were $2-300 I might have bought a couple! I am out of 440 blocks, maybe I need to start looking closer at swap meets...
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/18/19 10:57 PM

Why buy a fake wheel with a fake date code and a fake number on a brand new wheel to make people think you have the original wheels on you car that most people threw away? You guys kill me me your correctness sometimes.

But yet, you want the correct stamp, to make a block appear to be an HP block?
Why fake something like that? To make people think you have an original HP block?
You’re complying about people stamping wheels,but you want to stamp a block for the same reasons?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/18/19 11:17 PM

None of that fake renumbered stuff for this kid.

Real is real.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/18/19 11:40 PM

How is putting HP on a non HP engine any less fraudulent than going ahead and stamping the VIN on the block as well?

Both are incorrect as far as matching numbers goes and an argument can be made that all the "numbers matching" coding and stamping on repro parts is fraudulent.
Posted By: SlickRS23

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/18/19 11:54 PM

We can buy date coded repop glass, voltage regulators and fan belts to name a few.
????
Posted By: SlickRS23

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/19/19 12:41 AM

I'm sure with all the money in the auto hobby, There are probably some pretty good re-stamped engines, transmissions or what ever that have fooled even the best experts. Probably some high end cars are restamped and nobody knows.

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/19/19 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SlickRS23
We can buy date coded repop glass, voltage regulators and fan belts to name a few.
????

My point exactly.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: HP 440 blocks - 07/19/19 12:36 PM

They make pills for that... laugh2

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums