Moparts

Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance

Posted By: MarkZ

Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/11/19 03:21 PM

While trying to install the Holley distributor to enable timing control on my Sniper setup I discovered the base of the distributor hits the head and won't seat properly. I've marked the area that needs to be clearanced. What do you guys think, rotary file? I could probably get a grinding disc in there, but the aluminum would load up on the disk.

Attached picture 20190706_150332.jpg
Posted By: Neil

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/11/19 03:25 PM

Dremel tool?
Posted By: SportF

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/11/19 03:51 PM

Plug up the hole, get a vacuum right on the exhaust of the rotary tool (the direction the chips fly, and have at it.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/11/19 04:36 PM

I used a corset aluminum rotary but on my -1 Indys. I'd be asking about water jacket.
Doug
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/11/19 07:38 PM

Get a big sanding roll. Maybe something 1 inch in diameter or even larger. Use a super coarse grit like 36. It will only take you a few seconds to do the job once you have the right tool.
Posted By: Iowan

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 02:56 AM

I've got a inline cutoff wheel that would work great for that, I'd use it like a grinder and let the wheel make a nice cut using in a sweeping motion. It would make a nice concave cut in the head, I would then clean it up with a inline belt sander. The concave shape would fit the distributor.

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 05:08 AM

Mark, didn't you read the article? https://www.hotrod.com/articles/holley-hyperspark-install-tune/
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 11:37 AM

So what does this distributor bring to the show that a lean burn distributor doesn't? Other than clearance issues and triple the price, or more?

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
So what does this distributor bring to the show that a lean burn distributor doesn't? Other than clearance issues and triple the price, or more?

It uses hall effect sensors as opposed to magnetic pickup for the trigger. I guess mag pickups don't provide a clean enough signal for the ECU.

I'll report back when I've had a chance to work on the car. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 03:12 PM

Had same issue with the FAST Dual Sync and Stealth heads.

I don't know how good the Sniper dist trigger signal conditioning is as I see many people complaining about signal noise?

On my FiTech, I used a lean burn dist and it works fine, but I think the reference angles are different between the Sniper and FiTech so may need the reluctor with the different pin positions to correct the rotor phasing?
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF

Andy, what heads did you use on that motor? Trickflow?
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 08:59 PM

Get a bar of soap and rub it on whatever cutting tool you use. I will help prevent the aluminum from loading up. This bit in a die grinder would make short work of it. Remember to duct tape over the distributor hole before starting. smile
https://www.amazon.com/TEMO-Aluminum-CARBIDE-Cylinder-Diameter/dp/B00385NKW4

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/12/19 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by krautrock

Andy, what heads did you use on that motor? Trickflow?

No, that engine had Mopar Performance 452 aluminum heads. My new engine has Trick Flow heads and they did not require clearancing.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/13/19 04:39 AM

We have the Holley dist in my sons 400 Dart with the Holley Sniper system. He has Eddy RPM heads and we had to clearance them a little also. I just used my air grinder with a wizz wheel on it. Only had to remove a small amount and of course plug the dist hole real good. Ron

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/20/19 08:44 PM

I feel rather silly now, but yeah, I did and I didn't even remember that bit. Going to Menard's in the morning to pick up a sanding drum.

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/21/19 07:53 PM

Distributor fits. Went with Andy's advice and picked up a sanding drum with a 50 grit roll. Turns out the cap to CRC contact cleaner is exactly the right diameter to use a template for a distributor hole cover. Was also able to put a shopvac downwind of the chips - still made a mess, but not as bad as it could have been. Thanks again everyone.

Attached picture 20190721_135523.jpg
Attached picture 20190721_135903.jpg
Attached picture 20190721_151122.jpg
Attached picture 20190721_151132.jpg
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Aluminum Cylinder Head Clearance - 07/21/19 09:52 PM

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...e=partnumber&page=5&partid=25883

dist plug, less than a buck.
© 2024 Moparts Forums