Moparts

Paint Supplies

Posted By: MrMayhem

Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 04:16 PM

Howdy!

Im looking to begin the bodywork on my 74 Trailduster and now that I moved to the Lodi California area I would like some reconmendations on where to shop for paint and supplies. I am not opposed to shop online for budget minded supplies but it seems my previous go to online suppliers are no longer in business. Does anyone have nay reconmendations?
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 04:31 PM

When we did the Cuda in Commiefornia we went to Nevada to buy paint.

Attached picture 138.jpg

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 05:40 PM

Just out of curioisity. why go to nevada? I was informed we could by paint from any supply store.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 06:06 PM

CA doesn't allow certain paint products to be sold so they cross the border and buy the preferred items and sneak them back in.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 06:09 PM

Probably to avoid paying the California premium.

Way back when my kids were on formula a can of it cost me $15 in San Diego. Go visit my folks in Tucson and the same can was $10.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 08:29 PM

I think you'll find reputable online vendors will claim its illegal to even ship certain products into California. "Illegal for sale in California" includes online sales. Same issues up here in Canada.
Posted By: topside

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 09:47 PM

Maybe the Lodi area is exempt from the VOC regs that affect the Bay Area, L.A. County, etc or maybe it's statewide now.
Used to be tiers depending on population, CARB & bureaucracy level.
Call the local paint jobber and see if you can get solvent-based paint or if they'll only sell waterborne.
Solvent-based is less expensive & easier to work with in most respects.
Posted By: 1DGEMAN

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by topside
Maybe the Lodi area is exempt from the VOC regs that affect the Bay Area, L.A. County, etc or maybe it's statewide now.
Used to be tiers depending on population, CARB & bureaucracy level.
Call the local paint jobber and see if you can get solvent-based paint or if they'll only sell waterborne.
Solvent-based is less expensive & easier to work with in most respects.

Exactly
Posted By: hemi71x

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 10:11 PM

You need to go into Reno, Carson City, Sparks, to get paint that Commiefornia, has said no to.

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 10:16 PM

Well I called a paint shop in Stockton, it appears I can buy about anything I want but it will be more costly than what I am used to.
Posted By: MoparMike1974

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/01/19 11:52 PM

I bet CA is real bad. In Maryland all the shops have to use waterbourne paints now. You can still buy (low) voc paint as a hobbyist.
I have been using a lot of Nason paint and it seems to be really decent. Here is a link to a place where I have been buying primers. I also use their hot rod black which lays down real nice.
http://www.urekem-paints.com/
Posted By: DUSTER_340

Re: Paint Supplies - 07/02/19 01:25 AM

I will give a nod to URKEM, www.thecoatingstore.com , I just did my daughters Neon with their paint kit and it looks great!
© 2024 Moparts Forums