Moparts

firm feel vs moog USA idler arm

Posted By: 73cuda340

firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/27/19 09:57 PM

I need a new idler arm for my car and I'm trying to decide between the firm feel or a brand new older USA made Moog unit? Are the firm feel units that much better to be twice the price of the moog?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/27/19 11:07 PM

I don't think Firm Feel makes their own idler arms.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/27/19 11:17 PM

a brand new older USA made Moog unit.
Go with this one
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/27/19 11:32 PM

Last timeI bought suspension from FF it was a Moog arm

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/27/19 11:44 PM

Moog it is then. Thanks for the input
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/29/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 73cuda340
Moog it is then. Thanks for the input
For the idler arm, yes, might as well. Pitman arm, different story. Since it's new old stock, you'll probably be okay, otherwise I'd say the grease boot will probably crack and fall off within 3 months.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/29/19 05:56 PM

And then you have to be wary of the counterfeits. I have always used a lot of Moog parts until I started seeing a lot of off shore built ones. And then I got a pair of counterfeit ball joints from Amazon.

Just make sure that the old U.S. pieces are really that.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/29/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I don't think Firm Feel makes their own idler arms.
iagree

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/29/19 08:13 PM

How does a person tell if it is a counterfeit or not? Does it have to have its origin somewhere on the pkg?

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/29/19 10:51 PM

In my case, I was replacing Moog ball joints that I had installed a few years ago, the last time I changed engines and K members. The new upper ball joints from Rockauto looked different. So I went to my local O'Reilly's and ordered another pair of Moogs. They looked like the ones I was removing down to the last detail. The ones from Rockauto had noticeable differences when laid side by side to the other ones. They were similar, but different. I sent pics of them to Rockauto side by side making a note to them that I thought that they were not really Moog pieces. All I got in response was a return authorization. So, they went back to RA and I installed the ones from O'Reilly's.

Now, I use the Proforged lower and tall upper ball joints. http://www.proforged.com/
Posted By: moparx

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/30/19 01:36 PM

proforged has been getting my vote as of late. moog has been having quality issues [in my opinion] for the last 10yrs or so, especially their rubber components.
they are NOT the top of the line leader in suspension parts they once were.
if you can score parts older than the last 10-15yrs, i would pick them up. in fact, i'll wager the boots and bushings will last WAY longer than any newly manufactured moog boot or bushing, especially if they have been kept in a cool, dry, place.
just my opinion, your mileage may [and probably will] vary.
beer
Posted By: Sniper

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/30/19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
In my case, I was replacing Moog ball joints that I had installed a few years ago, the last time I changed engines and K members. The new upper ball joints from Rockauto looked different. So I went to my local O'Reilly's and ordered another pair of Moogs. They looked like the ones I was removing down to the last detail. The ones from Rockauto had noticeable differences when laid side by side to the other ones. They were similar, but different. I sent pics of them to Rockauto side by side making a note to them that I thought that they were not really Moog pieces. All I got in response was a return authorization. So, they went back to RA and I installed the ones from O'Reilly's.

Now, I use the Proforged lower and tall upper ball joints. http://www.proforged.com/

Sometimes when companies merge the existing stock gets put into new boxes and relabeled. Not saying that happened here, but it's possible. Federal Mogul bought them some time ago Then Tenneco bought FM last year. These days who knows who owns what.

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 06/30/19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by DaveRS23

Sometimes when companies merge the existing stock gets put into new boxes and relabeled. Not saying that happened here, but it's possible. Federal Mogul bought them some time ago Then Tenneco bought FM last year. These days who knows who owns what.

I am familiar with that situation as it has been around for many, many years. BUT, I ordered Moog and the box was labeled Moog, but the part was different from other Moog parts. That is all that matters. Whether deliberate or inadvertent, it appeared that I did not get what I had ordered and paid for.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/01/19 04:03 PM

Aftermarket "re-boxing" is very common ... for distributor stock exchanges, buy-outs, etc. Typically, a good name brand manufacturer will pre-determine which part numbers can be re-boxed (one mfg to another...), but sometimes they will decide NOT to have certain numbers re-boxed due to physical spec differences. Then, there's the cost factor in deciding what can be reboxed. The items determined NOT to be reboxed are trashed and becomes a financial loss, so, that may or may not be acceptable. Also, there is ALWAYS the possibility of mistaken reboxing... happens more often than could be imagined. IF you order via mail-order (Amazon, etc), then beware!... best if you deal with a direct local parts distributor that you can go back and discuss if there's any questions at all... they should return/exchange if any question until you're satisfied.

Also.... unfortunately, more good old USA manufacturers are sourcing their parts from other countries and the quality is NOT the same.... the pricing is less so they save more $$ out-sourcing from China, Mexico, etc... and become more competitive against other suppliers that are already doing that... its terrible! Look for Made-in-USA... increasingly harder to find... and yes, you will then pay more for Made-in-USA.

I believe FF repackages their parts from better name brand companies, including MOOG, and some others ... into FF boxes (just typical marketing).

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/01/19 04:06 PM

If "made in US of A" (cast I would assume) guarantees that it ain't counterfeit then I am OK with however much it costs.

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/01/19 04:22 PM

I ended up ordering the moog idler arm. Hopefully I'll get it installed today.

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/01/19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
If "made in US of A" (cast I would assume) guarantees that it ain't counterfeit then I am OK with however much it costs.

There are some in certain countries that are notorious for faking stuff like UL listings and stuff like that, so it would not surprise me if that was faked too.

I bought a wireless controller for my son's Playstation not too long ago off of amazon. Claimed to be a new Sony unit.

It was not, I had the old controller that was a Sony and the noticeable weight difference lead me to look into it. It's a decent copy that functions but it is not Sony.

Even though it is labeled and packaged as if it were.

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/01/19 04:31 PM

^^^ yeah I was wondering if they got that blatant.
Posted By: moparx

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/02/19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
^^^ yeah I was wondering if they got that blatant.

ask MSD. several years ago, there was a blatant copy of one of their boxes, right down to the serial number.
one of the magazines did a disassembly of a real MSD box and a fake. the internals were TOTALLY different inside, but the outside was virtually identical.
i don't know if this problem is still going on or not.
this was primarily boxes bought from amazon and ebay.
beer

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/02/19 02:31 PM

I forgot about the MSD thing.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/02/19 03:25 PM

The Chinese will steal any design if they think they can make money at it. A lot of parts which get manufactured offshore end up being counterfeited. People who work at the mfg facility in China will steal the CAD files and or just steal the parts off the assembly line and ship them out the back door. That is why some of the counterfeited parts look real. They are real parts that just got shipped out the back door instead of the front door. We started to see this problem 20 years ago in the electronics industry and now it is spreading to boring stuff like suspension parts and hardware. 30 years ago when we first started to send mfg to China nobody thought that all of the designs would be stolen and counterfeited. We just thought we would be cutting the cost.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: firm feel vs moog USA idler arm - 07/02/19 09:57 PM

...and they have a global distribution network in Amazon to flood the market with these fakes.

I read an article on it recently and there is, by some estimates and depending on the sales channel, 10-15% of Amazon sales are of fakes or counterfeits. Several larger companies have suits pending for this exact problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums