Moparts

NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt?

Posted By: roadrunninMark

NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/23/19 10:13 PM

Don't know which section to put this in as it is on more than 1 body style, so putting it here in question and answer section. I am looking for 1 special bolt that a "fold down" license plate bracket has, the kind you flip down to access your gas tank. Mine is on a 69 road runner. The bolt has a flat round head and is usually connected (welded, glued?) to the bracket. Below are some pictures of what I am talking about. Anyone have an extra you don't need?

Thanks,
Mark

Attached picture licenseplatespringbolt.jpeg
Attached picture licenseplateholder.jpeg
Posted By: PhillyRag

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/24/19 07:22 AM

They're usually inserted into sq.hole, then "staked" in at the opposite side. In a pinch you can get a carriage bolt to fit that sq opening & grind the oval portion of head flt. I did similar on a sway bkt.

Attached picture DSCN2501.JPG
Posted By: moparx

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/24/19 02:12 PM

also, there are "flat head" carriage bolts used in garage door hardware. you might check with your local hardware store.
if you have an ACE hardware available, their stores have an amazing selection of hardware useful in the automotive world.
beer
Posted By: stumpy

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/24/19 10:29 PM

I had to buy some of those flat garage door track bolts recently. ACE had them and they are cheap. up

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/25/19 01:40 PM

like the commercial says stumpy, "ACE is the Place !" boogie biggrin
beer
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/25/19 02:09 PM

If you have a Fastenal store nearby they should have something that works and looks correct. They also ship stuff very reasonably, BTW.

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/25/19 02:29 PM

my local Fastenal store basically carries only a minimum of nuts and bolts, plus several other supplies in very minimal selections, and to order through the store, takes about four days. not saying all stores are like that though. yours is probably different.
i do know their catalog of fasteners is unbelievable ! up
beer

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/26/19 03:01 PM

I have a fastenal not too far away, will check their online catalog. Local ACE was changed over to a private hardware store but they don’t have much in the way of bolts.

Thanks all for the input.

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/26/19 03:51 PM

that's too bad about your local ACE. the TruValue hardware a couple of towns over, changed to an ACE, and only used 2/3rds of the TrueValue store space. their hardware section is now THREE times [eek] the size of my ACE just a couple houses down from me.
it is unbelievable !
beer

Re: NE1 have an extra license plate bracket bolt? - 05/31/19 07:12 PM

Bolt received, thanks to Randy (1_WILD_RT)! boogie
© 2024 Moparts Forums