Moparts

Brake switch adjustment

Posted By: robertop

Brake switch adjustment - 05/19/19 05:37 PM

One more question,guys: how to adjust the little brake light switch that is near the top of the brake pedal in a 69 Runner? Right now it's too lose so, when the brake pedal is at rest, the rear brake lights still are on with the engine off. Thank you! P.S. It seems easy, but the thing appears rather fragile, so I don't want to damage it needlessly without knowing exactly how to do it.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/19/19 05:55 PM

Should be a bolt holding the switch bracket, just loosen and move it. Are your brakes adjusted correctly? If they aren't the pedal could be too low which could cause your switch issue.
Posted By: robertop

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/19/19 11:08 PM

Okay, good point. I changed the pads and the rear drums and adjusted them manually. I need to drive backwards and pump the brakes until they are properly adjusted. Thanks for the advice on the brake switch.
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/19/19 11:21 PM

Or you could get the heavy duty white switch that screws into that hole. That one is adjustable. Had the same problem as you years ago with the press on switch. It would never disingage.
I switched to the screw on version and never had a problem again.

Attached picture break light switch 2.jpg
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/20/19 01:43 AM

white switch that screws / Do you have a part # for that switch?
Posted By: A990

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/20/19 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by GMP440
Or you could get the heavy duty white switch that screws into that hole. That one is adjustable. Had the same problem as you years ago with the press on switch. It would never disingage.
I switched to the screw on version and never had a problem again.

Those switches are pretty junky. They come apart and the brake lights turn on and I finally had to glue it together.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/20/19 03:01 AM

You could just manually adjust the brakes through the hole in the backing plate.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/20/19 03:12 AM

up

haha

Make sure the adjusters are in the correct side, or the brakes will get tighter every time you use them.
Causes all kinds of problems

Don't ask.

whistling
Posted By: moparx

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/20/19 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by bboogieart
up

haha

Make sure the adjusters are in the correct side, or the brakes will get tighter every time you use them.
Causes all kinds of problems

Don't ask.

whistling

SAAA....MOKIN' !!! [in my best jim carey voice biggrin]
not that i have ever experienced this....... laugh2
beer
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/20/19 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by hemirdrnnr
white switch that screws / Do you have a part # for that switch?

Looks to be a SLS66 in Standard Ignition.
Posted By: hemirdrnnr

Re: Brake switch adjustment - 05/20/19 11:57 PM

Thanks for the # !!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums