Moparts

Loosening oil pan drain plug

Posted By: larrymopar360

Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/18/19 04:16 PM

This baffles me. The last time I changed oil on my 1979 W150, what seemed to be the original (or very old at least) drain plug was clearly stripped and would not tighten back down. I got an aftermarket replacement from parts store. It tightened down as much as I could want it to. I don't put a torque wrench on it, but I put plenty of torque on it. Next time I was under truck, I noticed oil seeping from plug, so I got out wrench, and was able to tighten it again. Now, each time I drive the truck, it clearly loosens up some again and I'm able to re-snug it. Again, I can tighten it plenty so it does not feel stripped.

Do I have bad plug or is pan bad? As far as I can tell, it's the original oil pan (360). I've never had this problem. Either something is stripped and won't tighten, or it tightens good and stays.

Thank you.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/18/19 04:39 PM

what type of washer is on it?
copper could have hardened and won't crush enough to hold it in place?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/18/19 05:21 PM

Yes get a softer washer (stat O seal was mentioned a day ago, not my area) & some indian head brown cement.

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/18/19 05:51 PM

Oh, ok. I can't remember if it's copper or not (4 cars and bad memory haha).

I will check as soon as I get home.

Thanks!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/18/19 07:43 PM

The current style drain plug with the built-in gasket is the best ever.

Attached picture Drain Plug.jpg
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/18/19 08:10 PM

I'm afraid you may be headed for this.

Drain Plug
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/18/19 11:47 PM

Did you possibly get a oversize drain plug and you're just cutting new threads.? That would feel tight before bottoming out.

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/19/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Did you possibly get a oversize drain plug and you're just cutting new threads.? That would feel tight before bottoming out.
Oh God please no. I hope I didn't do something that stupid but then I've been pretty absent minded lately. I don't think this is what happened. I think I would have noticed the packaging. I will double check this as well.

I like the plug John_Kunkel posted. I'll grab one.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/20/19 03:59 AM

WOW Larry,
Now you got me skeered to change my Earl.

The plugs in my junk are reusable,
Sept maybe for the plastic washer.
Have been for many decades, big block, small block ,/6, or 3.6 modern junk.

Please don't make an oil change hard. shruggy
Then again there are Grand Kids needing the work. up
Keep america proud.

As fir the "current style", been around fer decades, sans plastic washer... whistling
Posted By: BDW

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/20/19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
The current style drain plug with the built-in gasket is the best ever.

Where do you get these?
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/20/19 08:02 PM

I prefer the AGS ODP00016

If only it were Magnetic as well.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/20/19 09:17 PM

You might be able to drill/tap to add a magnet
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/21/19 06:04 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD64H8Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you resolve current issue. Has worked out exceptionally well changing oil on several of our cars,,,,particularly on our Benz where their engineers in their typical dopiness place a plastic shield under the engine to reduce air drag,,,takes many screws to remove,,,,and left no access hole below oil pan drain plug in order to remove it, so you must remove shield. Probably adds a 100 bucks in labor for a dealer oil change,,,so their is a method to their madness.

Additionally on this car,,,oil filter is directly under the hood,,,so no reason at all to go under car to change oil.

Works very well on our Mopar’s and other vehicles. Including motorcycles.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/21/19 11:12 PM

Have one and use it often!

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/21/19 11:58 PM

Sxrxrnr, that is a cool tool. On my Power Wagon, so easy to get underneath and reach filter so I'm ok with draining that way.

As soon as someone mentioned plug gasket, I jumped online and order different brand one with the nylon type gasket and magnet. $10 including shipping and it will arrive for my next day off. The one John_Kunkel posted looks good but I had already ordered mine. The one that won't stay tight is "Needa Part" brand fyi from Autozone.

Attached picture plug.jpg

Re: Loosening oil pan drain plug - 05/22/19 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper
I prefer the AGS ODP00016

If only it were Magnetic as well.
Wow that's cool.
© 2024 Moparts Forums